Can obesity be a genetic thing?

calm

Reaction score
Just wondered, as my DH saw his cousin today and told me that he seems to be putting on quite a bit of weight. Now DH's cousin has always been very self-image conscious (a bit of a vain metro-sexual) and would always do loads of exercise etc, so I voiced my surprise about this. DH said that its probably in his genes and both his father and grandfather are morbidly obese. I am not sure about that one :wacko: I suppose I go more for the environment theory (he has observed overeating on his father behalf, or maybe learnt to use food as a comfort or crutch). It could also be that he has always ate a lot (I am a witness of that at family gatherings) but when he was under 20 and growing he could get away with it, now he is over 25 maybe he can't. The thing is, I wondered if anyone knows if there is any scientific evidence of an "obesity" gene, of if you agree with this theory.

Insulin resistance can be genetic and cause weight gain, so there may be some underlying condition effecting them.

Idk I've always assumed it was just from a pattern of overeating through the generations. All of my family (from my mum's side) are big because we don't eat well, but to look at us you'd think it was genetic because the way our bodies are shaped is known to us as a family thing. We all have big bellies and skinny limbs (because even weight distribution is too fair :dohh:), so we all look similar in our overweight-ness, including my sister who isn't overweight but still has the family belly.
So I've heard family members blame it on genetics, but in reality only a part of it runs in the family and it's largely bad eating.

I think it has more to do with the fact that families tend to eat the same things and learn the same way of eating, my cousins are all overweight, so are both my parents and so was my nan. The thing is though my sisters are both healthy weights now but when they lived at home they were both overweight, i'm the youngest and im overweight but i know this is due to poor choices since i moved out of home (ie being a student and living on pot noodles lol) at the same time all 3 of us were overweight to begin with because my mothers portion sizes are ridiculous and we were raised to never leave anything on the plate whether your hungry or not because there 'are starving children in africa' :dohh: So no i dont believe its genetic but i do think its how your brought up, if your parents have poor nutritional knowledge and are overweight then chances are they'll pass on the bad habits

Some people may be more genetically likely to be larger, but if they ate properly and maintained a healthy lifestyle they wouldn't. My fathers obese.. I put on weight if I don't eat well.. So I take care of myself :) x

Aside from obviously side effects of certain conditions, and medications.

Some people are genetically more likely to gain weight. It's been studied and shown that in fact people predisposed to weight gain would have survived better in ancestral times because they would build up reserves in times of plenty and survive times of famine far better than individuals who didn't gain weight. So individuals with that particular genetic type would have preferentially survived and reproduced, passing on those genes :flow:

Now that (in the developed world) we don't have times of famine any more, food is always available. So the tendency to put on weight isn't balanced out naturally and has to be countered by conscious dietary decisions, which as we all know is bloody hard!

Of course, family habits play a big role too, but it's not the whole picture :flow:

Its funny you should say that Kate&Lucas, because I am slightly underweight and even so still carry too much weight around my tummy (and always have) as does my dad, so I wonder if that is a genetic thing. I asked my doctor but she that even if I have some weight on my tummy in proportion to my body its still not enough to be a concern for my health, and said she thought there was no reason for it, its just "how we are". But I wonder about what amjon has mentioned: "insulin resistance". My father has type 2 diabetes, and I have my blood sugar go low which I have been told can develop into diabetes in the future. I am looking to start a new diet, to help my general health and TTC (I obviously don't want to lose weight) but I might look into diets related to insulin resistance and see if I have any "symptoms". I also agree with tallybee, I have always been a believer of influence of both environment and genetics, but I always want to think a person's will and education can overcome anything "programmed".

Its funny you should say that Kate&Lucas, because I am slightly underweight and even so still carry too much weight around my tummy (and always have) as does my dad, so I wonder if that is a genetic thing. I asked my doctor but she that even if I have some weight on my tummy in proportion to my body its still not enough to be a concern for my health, and said she thought there was no reason for it, its just "how we are". But I wonder about what amjon has mentioned: "insulin resistance". My father has type 2 diabetes, and I have my blood sugar go low which I have been told can develop into diabetes in the future. I am looking to start a new diet, to help my general health and TTC (I obviously don't want to lose weight) but I might look into diets related to insulin resistance and see if I have any "symptoms". I also agree with tallybee, I have always been a believer of influence of both environment and genetics, but I always want to think a person's will and education can overcome anything "programmed".

Yeah definitely body shape and where we tend to carry weight is genetically influenced :flow:

I think to an extent we can use our will and knowledge to change things, but only in the framework of what nature has given us xx

I think it's genetic to an extent, some people are able to eat and eat and stay skinny and others just need to look at food to put on weight.

I dont think so. I think obesity running in families is more down to what they eat, exercise etc and they carry what they're used to into adulthood.

I do think you can have a certain body type though. I gain weight really easily on my thighs and hips but generally have an okay stomach and waist (not now though!). My mum is the opposite and has a much bigger stomach and skinnier legs.

I think it's genetic. In my family we eat healthy food we don't snack, we all exercise but if we eat a heavy dinner we add weight the next day. Me & my brother are always on a diet we live on low fat food & salads. My dad goes swimming everyday, he starts his meals with salads, he has a very strict healthy diet. We don't have any health issues or insulin problems but we add weight easily.

My friend comes from a skinny family. They don't eat any healthy food, they snack all day but they never worry about weight. Most of them are under weight.

I do believe its genetic; my great grandmother lived through 2 world wars and rationing and still never went below what would be a modern size 18, same with most other of my male and female ancestors who we have photos of. With OH's family one side of his family are super skinny; the others are very obese and prone to diabetes and heart issues, they all eat exactly the same foods and in the same quantities. xx

Its true that genetics affect your natural metabolism, therefore meaning some people naturally put on weight more easily than others. However not to the extent that a healthy diet and lifestyle would be counteracted by genetics - a slow metabolism would need to be combined with poor eating and lifestyle/or lack of exercise to cause clinical obesity.

I used to eat whatever I wanted and was a size 6-8 naturally up till age 27. Two things happened then - I got a new job in an office and for the first time in my life I wasn't on my feet moving all day for a living, I also met my now husband there and was introduced to his family's portion sizes which were about 3 times what I would make myself at the time. I now eat like them and am a size 14.

Body shape is definitely genetic, my family are apples - we are all petite in frame with tiny wrists, slim legs etc but when we gain weight it all goes on the tummy. Unfortunately this is the worst place as excess fat around the waist is associated with diabetes risk.

im not sure. i believe there would be some influencing factors in our genes, as PP (think it was kate?) mentioned regarding how we hold our weight, and our general body shape, but i think whats more of an influence, which again has been mentioned, is learned behaviour. my mum is overweight and struggles terrible to lose. i'm the same, overweight and always struggle to lose more than 7lbs and thats with daily exercise and eating healthy. but on top of that i am an emotional eater. my mum had bulimia until she was in her 20s and has never had a good relatiinship with food. now she is the other extreme. i have never had a good relationship with food either tho, which i believe is from seeing how my mum is, but she gets it off her mum, who is very weight conscious and has.never been overweight but is massively judgemental of those who are (she often makes comments about my weight)

now after saying all that, my sister is very very slim. i reckon im easily double her weight. she also suffered with bulimia during her teens and still struggles with it. so i reckon most would be learned behaviour, but.surely there must be something genetic involved if i struggle to lose more than 7lbs.

i have utterly confused myself writing this :rofl:

xo

I think maybe body shape and metabolism speed may be a bit genetic but if you don't overeat and you exercise enough then you won't gain weight (provided you're not on medication or anything). I don't know anybody that is much heavier than me that eats less. A lot of people do blame genetics though. I think the way a family eats is a more significant factor.

Also prenatal experience can also set you off on the wrong road-- such as children from mother who had untreated gestational diabetes are set on a high sugar demand which heightens the risk for overweight as they havent got a healthily set satiation level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->