Can people give me some idea on how much to carpet a house please?

Jaysmummy

Mum of 3 and WTT
Reaction score
I'm getting really stressed out about this as we are due to move when I will be 39 weeks pregnant argh!!!

So we have only been given the area of each room ie. living room is 15 metres squared and every bloody shop we go in says they need the actual floor measurements which we won't have until we get the keys!!

We went to SCS yesterday and they said they could work it out based on the area so they worked out for a living room, hallway, stairs and landing plus 3 bedrooms for a £12.99 sq mtre carpet plus the most expensive underlay and fitting, grippers etc it would cost us £1700. Now to me for SCS that seems cheap for quite a dearish carpet and underlay?? So we're thiniking we could get it cheaper elsewhere like an independent shop or something?

Can anyone give me a rough idea on carpet costs for all these rooms? I know its an estimate as all house are different I just need some idea

xx

We got our living room, long hallway and 2 bedrooms carpeted about 7-8 months ago and it cost us about £1400.
Do no trust instore estimated quotes, we got a quote and when then came to measure it was £500 more because they take into account things like how much is on a roll and they only sell it by certain amounts (they dont tell you this in store) so sometimes you have to have invisible joins done and they charge an extra £60 per one of these (again didnt tell me this in store) luckely we had the old grippers from our old place so saved a bit there but you also then have fitting prices and labour added on top and they where supposed to glue the carpet in place (again another hidden charge) but then just nailed it so we demanded that charge back (was about £30)

Put it this way we where quoted £900 in store but ended up paying about £1400 there was so many hidden costs so just be warned, get them to spell everything out for you.

Also we where told in store not to buy the most expensive underlay because even though it was thicker so ideal for sound and comfert it actualy wears quicker, we where told it would likely need replacing after 10 years and the cheaper one even though it was thiner actualy is alot more hard wearing.
Although knowing what a complete tw*t this guy was when I went back in after to complain about all the hidden costs and things we where charged for but never got I now suspect he could have been lieing so that we end up having to pay out to replace the cheaper one in the long run.
We had to just deal with it because we couldnt move into the new place till the carpets where done and the old place was already gone so I was sleeping at my mums and OH was sleeping on his mums couch and the baby was going back and forth between us

This was all from carpetright, they seems so helpfull and nice at first, should have realised when they made up pay a deposit before they did the measurments so even after we found out about all the extra charges we couldnt back out or we would loose the deposit of £200.

Just be carfull and ask as many questions as you can think of and ask what is included in the price

We got our living room, long hallway and 2 bedrooms carpeted about 7-8 months ago and it cost us about £1400.
Do no trust instore estimated quotes, we got a quote and when then came to measure it was £500 more because they take into account things like how much is on a roll and they only sell it by certain amounts (they dont tell you this in store) so sometimes you have to have invisible joins done and they charge an extra £60 per one of these (again didnt tell me this in store) luckely we had the old grippers from our old place so saved a bit there but you also then have fitting prices and labour added on top and they where supposed to glue the carpet in place (again another hidden charge) but then just nailed it so we demanded that charge back (was about £30)

Put it this way we where quoted £900 in store but ended up paying about £1400 there was so many hidden costs so just be warned, get them to spell everything out for you.

Also we where told in store not to buy the most expensive underlay because even though it was thicker so ideal for sound and comfert it actualy wears quicker, we where told it would likely need replacing after 10 years and the cheaper one even though it was thiner actualy is alot more hard wearing.
Although knowing what a complete tw*t this guy was when I went back in after to complain about all the hidden costs and things we where charged for but never got I now suspect he could have been lieing so that we end up having to pay out to replace the cheaper one in the long run.
We had to just deal with it because we couldnt move into the new place till the carpets where done and the old place was already gone so I was sleeping at my mums and OH was sleeping on his mums couch and the baby was going back and forth between us

This was all from carpetright, they seems so helpfull and nice at first, should have realised when they made up pay a deposit before they did the measurments so even after we found out about all the extra charges we couldnt back out or we would loose the deposit of £200.

Just be carfull and ask as many questions as you can think of and ask what is included in the price

I thought it seemed cheap for somewhere like SCS!! He said it did include grippers and fitting etc but that a carpet estimator would have to come out to measure it properly so I'm guessing the price will be bumped up even though he kept saying if it is more it won't be much more!

There's a couple of small carpet shops near me and I'm thinking of trying there. My Mum went to carpet right and the carpet she wanted was £16.99 sq mtre and she got it from a smaller shop for £6.99!!!

xx

Yeah we where told "oh it will only be £50 more at most once the measurments done"
do they mean the grippers for the doors or the undercarpet grippers?
Anouther hidden cost we found was around the edging of the carpet they use these thick boards a metre long and a inch wide, these nail to the floor and then the carpet is glued to the topside to stop the edges coming up.
These cost about £1.30 for a metre BUT if you have a corner and use 50cm on one side and 50cm around the corner they charge you for 2 (but use the left over of the first)

It was this invisible join thing that peed me off the most, because of the size of the bedroom we had this little indent bit by the window, its only just over a metre wide and about 7 inches deep but they said to fill that bit we would either have to buy another foot worth of carpet and loose a fair bit of cut off or we could have it joined with some leftover cut off carpet from elsewhere so we just said use cut off with the promise you wouldnt see the join.
When the bill came they charged us £60 for doing this yet another foot of carpet would have only been £12.99 when I agued about it they said oh there is alot of work involved in invisible joining but they made out that it was just the simple easier cheaper option

Yeah we where told "oh it will only be £50 more at most once the measurments done"
do they mean the grippers for the doors or the undercarpet grippers?
Anouther hidden cost we found was around the edging of the carpet they use these thick boards a metre long and a inch wide, these nail to the floor and then the carpet is glued to the topside to stop the edges coming up.
These cost about £1.30 for a metre BUT if you have a corner and use 50cm on one side and 50cm around the corner they charge you for 2 (but use the left over of the first)

It was this invisible join thing that peed me off the most, because of the size of the bedroom we had this little indent bit by the window, its only just over a metre wide and about 7 inches deep but they said to fill that bit we would either have to buy another foot worth of carpet and loose a fair bit of cut off or we could have it joined with some leftover cut off carpet from elsewhere so we just said use cut off with the promise you wouldnt see the join.
When the bill came they charged us £60 for doing this yet another foot of carpet would have only been £12.99 when I agued about it they said oh there is alot of work involved in invisible joining but they made out that it was just the simple easier cheaper option

He meant all of the grippers I think, he was talking about the ones around the edge and then he counted how many for doors too :shrug:

Well I'm definitely NOT going to CarpetRight that's for surec:nope:

xx

We always buy remnants (leftovers) and get them fitted that way. I guess it depends on the type of carpet you choose and the quality. We managed to get a great deal for our bedroom one because it was an odd size.

Obviously if you want the house all in the same carpet then this wouldn't work. But it's something to think about :)

we live in a flat but it cost about £60 a room for the actual carpet, my step dad fitted it so we didnt need to pay for that, we also didnt get underlay x

we usually get the ofcuts which are cheaper and my dad fits it x

Have you got a local buy/swap site on FB? Ask there if anyone will fit - normally £20 per room

And also so to the smaller companies, they normally have loads of off cuts. Sometimes you have to buy a roll so more than you need but it will still be cheaper than buying what you actually need off a non-cut off or discounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->