Can someone please explain temping to me?

brunettebimbo

Mum of 2 Boys!
Reaction score
I've only started today so I'm unsure what I'm looking for? What is meant to happen to my chart and when? Thanks in advance

You will temp every morning before getting out of bed and you should notice a temp rise after ovulation. This can happen a few days before or a few days after though. Temping helps to determine that you have ovulated. You can use OPKs to tell you before you ovulate.

As for how much of a rise after ovulation that depends on you personally. I have had cycles where I barely even noticed a rise and I've had cycles where there was a clear ovulation. Your temp should remain up until you either start your period or are pregnant. Some people say it stays up throughout pregnancy and others say it is all the place and you should put the thermometer away once pregnancy is confirmed.

Guidelines from FF:
1. Take your temperature just as you wake up in the morning, before doing anything else.
2. Take your temperature at the same time every morning, or as close to the same time as possible.
3. Take your temperature after a solid few hours of sleep.
4. Take your temperature using a special BBT thermometer.
5. Enter your data on your chart or bedside notepad as soon after taking your temperature as possible.

Is it important for it to be at same time or after three hours?
"Ideally, you will be able to take your temperature at both the same time and after at least three hours of sleep, but sometimes this is not possible. Do your best to meet the ideal as closely as possible. Whether or not you will have a more accurate temperature after sleeping the longest or at your usual wake-up time varies depending on your own unique metabolism. You will only really know after you have charted for several cycles and have experimented a little bit."

It's important not to talk, drink, eat, walk around, etc. before taking temp as that may affect it. Waking up at different times can make a big difference for some people and some people say they do not notice much of a difference. There are those who support adjusting temps when they are late and many who really disapprove of doing so. I'd say try to take it at the same time every day.

Your temps before ovulation will be lower and then they will shift to a higher level after ovulation. The websites below are good for tracking this for you and will determine when you have ovulated. I'd suggest monitoring your cm as well because that will help you determine when you might be ovulating. Opks should tell you in advance as well. Temping is great for confirming that ovulation did happen, but opks and monitoring cm should tell you before it happens.

A couple of good charting sites that you can use to track it and that provide more information and articles:
fertilityfriend.com
ovufriend.com

Good luck! :flower:

Thanks girls.

So on the chart does it go up and down and then right up after ovulation? Just trying to work out what my chart should look like. :lol:

You may have steady temps before ovulation and then they shift to a higher level after ovulation. Or you may have rocky temps before ovulation and then they shift to the higher level. The important thing to notice is that it actually shifts to indicate that ovulation did happen.

Each individual temp isn't as much concern as the overall pattern of your chart. The only individual temp that might show something early is if you get a dropped, lower temp at the end of your cycle. This likely means that af will come. For example, you have 12 days of higher temps after ovulation and then the 13th day is really low again it most likely indicates that af will start. Or if the temps stay up for longer than usual it might mean that you are pregnant.

I'll attach a couple of charts that could show you what a chart might look like. I found these by searching google. It will vary for each person. You can see more charts by searching on here, on a charting website such as the two I mentioned earlier, or just by searching bbt charts on google.

Good luck!! :flower:

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 7
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 4
The first one is pregnant. The green line means +HPT.

Thanks Nina! It won't come up big enough on my phone to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->