Can the flu shot cause a miscarriage?

Lisa85

Reaction score
I had a missed miscarriage recently. I found out at 9 weeks that my baby had stopped growing around 6 weeks. It just occurred to me that i had the flu shot around that time so i looked up the dates.

I was 6 weeks on the 12th March.... i had the flu shot on the 13th March... my baby stopped growing around 6 weeks.

Coincidence??

I was 6 weeks on the 12th March.... i had the flu shot on the 13th March... my baby stopped growing around 6 weeks.

Coincidence??

Most likely coincidence. Flu shots are safe in pregnancy, even in early pregnancy. There's a thing called recall bias used in research that applies here, it is VERY strong for negative outcomes... So when a bad outcome happens, it's human nature to emphasize what a person remembers doing or not doing, and maybe even make connections/associations based on a single experience. Lots of studies with thousands of women have been done (I'm happy to provide references if anyone is interested!) that show no association. This is an odd time of year for flu shot though, guess it depends on the epidemiology in your area. & It's almost impossible to pin down the exact time of loss that early anyway :shrug:, no blame need be placed on yourself or anyone else!

With all that sciency stuff said... I'm so, so, deeply sorry for your loss :( Sending big hugs! :hugs: Take care hun :kiss:

Most likely coincidence. Flu shots are safe in pregnancy, even in early pregnancy. There's a thing called recall bias used in research that applies here, it is VERY strong for negative outcomes... So when a bad outcome happens, it's human nature to emphasize what a person remembers doing or not doing, and maybe even make connections/associations based on a single experience. Lots of studies with thousands of women have been done (I'm happy to provide references if anyone is interested!) that show no association. This is an odd time of year for flu shot though, guess it depends on the epidemiology in your area. & It's almost impossible to pin down the exact time of loss that early anyway :shrug:, no blame need be placed on yourself or anyone else!

With all that sciency stuff said... I'm so, so, deeply sorry for your loss :( Sending big hugs! :hugs: Take care hun :kiss:
Thank you for the information. Just a coincidence then i guess!! I know im probably just looking for something to blame but i dont think ill be getting the flu vac next time just incase!
Im in Australia and its Winter here so flu season!

Thank you for your kind words! Im getting through it. Unfortunately im still having ongoing pain following my D&C over 8 weeks ago and i only just got my period. This seems never ending and we cant start trying again until the pain is sorted out!

So sorry for your loss. They are safe for pregnant women and actually encouraged.

I don't think so, I had the swine flu shot in my 2st pregnancy. He is a healthy 4 year old now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->