Can too many ultrasounds be dangerous?:(

hi im a sonologist and unltrasounds r totally safe!although i dont recommend going completely overboard with them, they dont harm the baby,they r just soundwaves no radiation.

hi im a sonologist and unltrasounds r totally safe!although i dont recommend going completely overboard with them, they dont harm the baby,they r just soundwaves no radiation.

I don't understand the caution if you say they are totally safe...

I've just got this quote from the medical journal editorial ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology

"given current clinical practice, there are no good reasons on the basis of bioeffects for opposing entertainment ultrasound"

The same can be said for hospital scans.

"The only theoretical risk is that of raised temperature. It is a well known scientific fact that the sound waves do cause a rise of temperature in the tissues where they pass through. The rise in temperature is dependent on acoustic power and scan duration. All modern scanners display what is known as a Thermal Index (TI). The index tells the operator about any change in tissue temperature. It is displayed continuously on the screen and therefore the operator stays within the accepted safe Thermal Index range.

There is solid evidence that elevation of temperature by 1.5°C above normal (37°C) is perfectly safe. In practice, this is rarely reached. It is also true that, in theory, the tissue temperature needs to rise to about 41°C to have the potential of causing harm. It is virtually impossible to reach this temperature in regular pregnancy ultrasound scanning."
https://www.pregnancy-bliss.co.uk/4d_safety.html

Also see https://www.4d-ultrasoundscan.co.uk/articles.htm

Just a question for everybody here which isn't about the safety of ultrasounds as such but about the safety of the person doing the ultrasound. A friend of mine had an ultrasound the other day and was telling me that when the person wanted to see certain parts of the baby, she would wiggle the stick around to make the baby move. I partly see this as an invasion of the babies personal space (they aren't nothing inside there, I know they have a working mind that can think) but I was interested in hearing your opinions. Is this normal for this to happen?

Just a question for everybody here which isn't about the safety of ultrasounds as such but about the safety of the person doing the ultrasound. A friend of mine had an ultrasound the other day and was telling me that when the person wanted to see certain parts of the baby, she would wiggle the stick around to make the baby move. I partly see this as an invasion of the babies personal space (they aren't nothing inside there, I know they have a working mind that can think) but I was interested in hearing your opinions. Is this normal for this to happen?

midwives do a lot of poking and hands on as well in order to get a good feel for baby's position

Yes sonographers may poke and prod to make baby move but this is so they can get a better look for measurement and anomoly purposes not for entertainment!

My OBs always prodded baby much less when they used the u/s vs. manually checked on baby.

As for personal space -- that is true to a point... but in utero babies' don't have that much ability to understand. They certainly don't have the concept of "personal space" yet. At least not like you and I understand it. That is more a cultural thing leared well after birth. Toward the end of pregnancy, they might react to being prodded in different ways, but don't think it "invades their personal space" like we would think.

NO.

I have had 2 NHS scans and have 3 further growth scans.

I also had a private gender scan and have a 4d scan booked.

In total this will be 7 scans. They are fine.

Nicola xx

i will have atleast 8 throughout pregnancy and its not something i am worried about x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->