Can we start cow's milk early?

lalila0007

Loving my little family
Reaction score
I BF. My 9 month old is an amazing table food eater and very efficient with a Sip Cup. She eats as well or better than her 2 and 3 yr old cousins. She eats quite a lot of dairy, loves it and has no tummy problems due to it.

She has recently started to get fussy with the breast during the day, only wanting to nurse morning time and night time.

My question is, is there a problem with switching 1 or 2 daytime nursing sessions to cows milk this early? She would prefer the freedom of her cup over having to cuddle and nurse.

i suppose its upto you, their tummies arnt really ready for cows milk until 12 months, can you not try formula? or express some milk? xx

Formula seems to upset her. She's not fond of it (taste maybe?). And I am having trouble pumping so cant get enough to make it worth it.

The only reason they say its not good for their tummies is because of some children's difficulties in digesting dairy or dairy allergy. She has neither. She eats lots of dairy (cheese, yogurt, ice-cream) and has had no problems at all.

I plan on asking her doc at the next visit but was just wondering if anyone else had tried it.

I don't think it has anything to do with their tummy not being ready before 12 months. The way I've researched it is that cows milk just doesn't have the nutrients essential for brain development. A lot of babies are down to nursing twice a day at that point. I would maybe give one cup of cows milk and try and fit a nursing session in during the day and the morning and night one. Then maybe drop the other daytime one closer to a year.

My health visitor said some babies are down to 2 BF feeds once solids are well established which sounds to be the case with your lo!

I don't think it has anything to do with their tummy not being ready before 12 months. The way I've researched it is that cows milk just doesn't have the nutrients essential for brain development. A lot of babies are down to nursing twice a day at that point. I would maybe give one cup of cows milk and try and fit a nursing session in during the day and the morning and night one. Then maybe drop the other daytime one closer to a year.

^This. 9 months is a bit early to me to only have 2 bfing sessions a day, doesn't seem like enough. If she was more like 11 months I think it would be fine.

I wouldn't offer an alternative to breastmilk, just in case she's not so keen now but might want it more later. If you offer an alternative, she has no incentive to come back to breastmilk later if she does want the milk. I'd just keep offering the breast and feeding on demand, but offer her some cold water if she wants liquid but not to breastfeed. I would make sure it's cold so it's very different to breastmilk. I think a lot of babies change feeding patterns as they get older, sometimes wanting more and sometimes less.

I wondered this too. The 12 month rule has only been around a fee years I think. It used to be six. I think it's also to do with the nutrients etc if the baby isn't fully weaned but my LO is on 3 good meals and 3 bottles a day (always been a good eater!) I've been giving my LO some cows milk just at her bed time feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->