Can you bf only at night or will I lose my supply?

stargazer01

Reaction score
My baby just turned 12 months and I am thinking of just nursing at night. Will I lose my supply if I wean during the day?
(She has a metabolic condition that requires me to wake her for feeds at night.)

No I think your body will adjust. Your supply is pretty well established at this point, so if you reduce the feeds gradually, like over a week or so, you should be able to continue to nurse at night. I did it for several weeks while I was weaning when he was 8 months, and even after I stopped nursing at night I still had a little milk for another couple weeks.

Your body will adjust for this. Plenty women only bf once of twice a day.

My lo quit day feeds around 11m, but still woke hrly for milk at night til 16m, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you your replies, that helps so much, hearing from bf moms. My baby's doctor said I would most likely dry up. :shrug:

Pah, I disagree with the doctor. Your body will adjust to the demand, do it gradually for your own comfort as pp says. I know lots of mothers who reduce to just night feeding (once baby is eating solids well) in order to keep feeding easily when back at work. Hope it goes well :)

Your body will adjust to the new demand and produce less milk. You will be fine :)

I work full time now so dd2 has formula 9.5 hours a day. I breastfeed morning, evening and night and weekends and my supply seems fine, certainly Ella seems satisfied enough. Your supply at 12m is very much supply and demand, the first month or so it is hormonal but this far in it should be well established (as long as you don't generally suffer from a poor supply) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->