Can you conceive before a positive OPK?

LindyB

Reaction score
Hi I am 22 weeks pregnant. I used a clearblue digital ovulation kit this time as I have done in my previous two pregnancies. I thought I swore by them!

According to my dates from my LMP and when I got my 1st positive on the ovulation kit I am due on the 15th Nov. However, my dating scan changed that to the 10th November. This means I must have conceived before the day of the positive ovulation test. Five days before! There shouldn't have been an egg there. I know sperm can live for 5 days but conception needs and egg right?

What do people think?
I am just curious as they are expensive and have spent a fortune on them over the years! I though they were 99% accurate especially the digital ones. Also the midwives says the dating scans are completely accurate too!

5 days isn't a huge difference in size, dating scans can't be completely accurate on dates because some babies are different sizes and grow at slightly different rates. The differences in growth and rates aren't dramatic which is why they can say that they are accurate but it can't be marked down to an exact specific date, 5 days is a close window. Especially because some women go in for a scan one week and their dates get pushed backwards and then go in a few weeks later and then the dates get pushed back forward.

5 days isn't a huge difference in size, dating scans can't be completely accurate on dates because some babies are different sizes and grow at slightly different rates. The differences in growth and rates aren't dramatic which is why they can say that they are accurate but it can't be marked down to an exact specific date, 5 days is a close window. Especially because some women go in for a scan one week and their dates get pushed backwards and then go in a few weeks later and then the dates get pushed back forward.

Totally agree with this! ^^^ :thumbup:

^^^ I also agree. u/s dating is most accurate at 7 weeks... after that, its a lot less.

congratulations on your pregnancy!

remember that implantation usually occurs anywhere between 6 and 12 dpo. if your eggy implanted very early, i'm sure this could account for some of the difference.

I think you're right! I had a tiny bit of spotting eight days after I had the positive ovulation test. That probably would make up the difference.
I do think that digital ovulation tests are really good especially because I don't seem to have many symptoms and ovulate later .

Plus my husband and I had had sex the day before i had the positive test. Thats probably why implantation was a bit quicker. Its quite funny as we live in Peterborough and he was working in Middlesborough. He had to come all the way back down when I had the positive test, god knows how many hundreds of miles, and I was probably already pregnant.:haha:

i'm pretty sure that's how things more or less worked out for me too. we dtd the day before peak and both peak days. i know when i o'd and my original due date by o was nov 22, but it was moved to nov 18 (4 days earlier) by dating scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->