can you get CBT on NHS for panic and anxiet attacks

Miss_d

Reaction score
(cognitive behavioural therapy)

Ive been suffering with panic and anxiety attacks since novemeber after a sever bout of dizzyness which hasnt totally went away, ive read about CBT and was wondering of you can get it on NHS and also does anyone know rough costs if i have to go private? This is ruling my life and i need to put a stop to it.

hun, go to your docs, and you shoud be able to get it on the nhs. ill ask my mum, as shes had some cbt and ask her if she had it on the nhs or private and how much it costs x

you can get it on the NHS but, in most areas, it is done by a psychologist and there is usually a 4-6 month waititng list.

Private CBT will cost about £50-£100 per 45 min sessions, depends on your location.You are probably going to need at least 10 sessions so that's a lot of money

there are some on line FREE!!! cbt sites (all checked and veried and recomended) by the NHs eg https://www.livinglifetothefull.com/

I'd say have a chat with your GP first and see what the waiting list is.
hth
good luck, hun
xxx

Yes, i did, it took about 2 months to get an appointment x

it depends on whats available in your area. your gp or practice nurse should be able to tell you this.
some surgeries have counsellors, some of which are cbt trained. otherwise the gp will refer you to secondary care services. then, some areas might have groups, or cbt trained CPNs, some may only have 1:1 with a psychologist who may have a lonh waiting list.
The online site mentioned above is great and used by NHS mental health services. there are also some good self help books, like Overcoming Anxiety by Kennerley, and the one by Chris Williams (who did the living life to the full website) which are also recomended by some nhs book prescription schemes. Theres also the Overcoming Panic by Silove.
Probly first point of call would be the gp, though be prepared to fob off offers of medication :) and say you want psychological therapy, and find out whats available. and ask about waiting times. Sometimes you can be referred for 1;1 if thats what you want, but could do some reading or do the website course while youre waiting.

hth and good luck! (im a trainee psychologist in the nhs so pm me if you want)

Hey hun I done a 6 wk course on the NHS run through someone called Healthy Minds you just ask you GP. It was just called the Anxiety course it was really good! I recommend it hope this helps xxxxx

Ive been suffering with panic and anxiety attacks since novemeber after a sever bout of dizzyness which hasnt totally went away, ive read about CBT and was wondering of you can get it on NHS and also does anyone know rough costs if i have to go private? This is ruling my life and i need to put a stop to it.

I did.

I told him that I had looked into a load of other stuff and paid for myself (hypnotherapy, books, self-help stuff) and that I wanted cbt. I was adamant I wanted it - in my area its one of the things docs have been told to stop offering/cut down on, so be persistent and you should get it

ooo, they may also offer you drugs - just say you dont want that route.

I found it v helpful btw. Went for about a year and am much better now x

If you can't get nhs help - try the charity MIND. They offer 1 day and 6 week courses free of charge but I think these are group sessions.

I did.

I told him that I had looked into a load of other stuff and paid for myself (hypnotherapy, books, self-help stuff) and that I wanted cbt. I was adamant I wanted it - in my area its one of the things docs have been told to stop offering/cut down on, so be persistent and you should get it

ooo, they may also offer you drugs - just say you dont want that route.

I found it v helpful btw. Went for about a year and am much better now x

If you can't get nhs help - try the charity MIND. They offer 1 day and 6 week courses free of charge but I think these are group sessions.

Thanks everyone, ive got the doctors on wednesday so i will ask him then, got a feeling i will get fobbed off :(

I googled MIND they dont do it in Scotland :( lets hope i have luck at the doctors x

Just wanted to add to everyone else, if you go to your doc and are honest with them they should refer you at no extra cost, im currently having CBT as I had PND after the birth of Ds, I find it really really helpful.

not sure about the private side of things though, sending you huge hugs, I used to have panic attacks last year and they were awful :hugs:

fairydreams :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->