can you have a home birth if you havent had any blood tests?

ProudMum

Reaction score
For my own personal reasons I chose not to have bloods done this pregnancy..
When I found out I was pregnant my youngest son was 6 months old and Id had emergency bloods taken on the day he was born- so technically id had bloods done within a year of finding out I was pregnant with my 3rd..

Anyway I know Im RH A pos and a finger prick test showed my iron to be 12 (and Im still on iron tablets as precaution)

Would it be absolutely stupid of me to attempt a home birth if ive not got any up to date bloods?
My MW said ''back way back when'', half these tests didnt exist anyway so shes not too concerned, esp as my blood group has been confirmed 4 times or more in the last 4 years...

Just wondering for those who have had a home birth if it;d be a silly thing to do to try give birth at home? esp as all Ive had done are ultrasound scans and a finger prick iron test...
I have hospital phobia (health anxiety) and also a friend of mine who was recently at the hospital I am ''registered'' at, nearly lost her life due to contracting a ''virus'' whilst having surgery for malignant melonoma....

This has seriously put me off all the more.

I don't think there is anything in the blood tests that would effect delivery (other than maybe rh factor, which wouldn't change from the last time). I wouldn't see any additional risk.

I rec you'll be fine to have a HB. Like you say you have had bloods done recently enough. Maybe you could take a gentle iron suppliment like floradix or spatone of you feel you need to? Is right tho that until the last century we all did it at home without blood tests etc and in my opinion it's not just medical advances that made birth safer but basic hygene and nutrition :)

Im scared im gonna have low platelets and then have a serious issue with bleeding.
You're prob all thinking ''well have the tests done'' but for someone with a severe phobia it is extremely difficult for me.

Im currently taking ferrous fumarate as a preventative for anaemia.
I have never come across anyone yet whos also said no to blood testing...
They say as long as you've had blood group confirmed within 12 months then generally its not that much of a concern- but its not the blood group im concerned about, its anything that can contribute to heavier bleeding ie: platelets being a bit low and low iron...

I really dont wanna go in hospital- It wont be good for me or the baby as i'll be panicking which in turn could make things worse.

I hope to have a homebirth, I hate hospitals! I don't have a phobia, but they're just a ball ache and they make me feel uncomfortable lol.

I also completely understand how you feel about having bloods taken too, I have a phobia of veins and wrists and the inside of my elbows URGH shudder! I felt much more comfortable when the midwife took my bloods at home though, and I used EMLA cream to numb it so I could kinda pretend it wasn't happening lol. I was still soaked with sweat and shaking, but I'm so proud and glad I did it, if just to put my mind at ease.

Maybe if the midwife did them at home for you, then you'd KNOW for sure, and you could have a happy chilled out homebirth :thumbup:

Good luck!! :hugs: x x

I hope to have a homebirth, I hate hospitals! I don't have a phobia, but they're just a ball ache and they make me feel uncomfortable lol.

I also completely understand how you feel about having bloods taken too, I have a phobia of veins and wrists and the inside of my elbows URGH shudder! I felt much more comfortable when the midwife took my bloods at home though, and I used EMLA cream to numb it so I could kinda pretend it wasn't happening lol. I was still soaked with sweat and shaking, but I'm so proud and glad I did it, if just to put my mind at ease.

Maybe if the midwife did them at home for you, then you'd KNOW for sure, and you could have a happy chilled out homebirth :thumbup:

Good luck!! :hugs: x x

Its not the test that scare me its what they find in the results :( Im petrified.
I HATE hospitals but at the same time my MW seems to think that due to having health anxiety Id be better off in one (originally she thought a HB would be best)
She feels should there be an ''issue'' of any kind, I will be freaking out too much at home whereas if Im in hospital and I know drs are to hand, I'll cope better...

That being said, how do we know the hightened anxiety of being in a hospital wont CAUSE the problem/issue (if one should crop up)
Stress/Labour/Childbirth = very bad combination

if your iron level was 12 and you have been taking supplements your gonna be fine on iron mine isnt 12 when im not pregnant let alone when im pregnant lol its more like 10 when im pregnant if im taking something and lower if im not

if your iron level was 12 and you have been taking supplements your gonna be fine on iron mine isnt 12 when im not pregnant let alone when im pregnant lol its more like 10 when im pregnant if im taking something and lower if im not

Are you birthing at home?
BTW I added you on FB and got no response :( xx

Your iron levels are well above an anaemic range and you are therefore prob unlikely to find much benefit from any supplement beyond a psychological benefit. I get the impression from what you have said that you already know it is your health anxiety that is the biggest hurdle to you having the relaxed birth that would be lovely.

I've supported many clients to work through their health anxiety and again as I'm sure you know, (baring actually physical problems which sound unlikely due to your lack of symptoms) it's almost irrelevant if you had the blood tests or not because in true health anxiety you wouldn't believe the results anyway after a day or two or if you did the anxiety would just transfer to another aspect of your health.

Personally as you haven't got long before your expected due date, if you haven't already I'd suggest getting yourself some good self help books about health anxiety. CBT based ones work well at least in the short term but often longer term as well. If you are finding it a big problem in life generally have a chat with your GP to see what psychological therapies services are available in your area so that once you have had the baby if you want to you can start tackling it even more.

Health anxiety is horrible and you really don't need to put up with it, it can be challenged really successfully!

Daisy that most definitely is me! I've had health anxiety for 14 years now and tho it's improved in certain aspects it never truly goes away where my own health is concerned-
Not only did I use to worry bout me but my family too, tho the family worry has eased off now!

Funny u say I wouldn't believe the results as wen I had my last set of tests during labour, because I wasn't told specifics ( what they tested for and what the results were) I managed to convince myself even tho I was told all was fine, that they'd made a mistake! Or my results got lost & they'll never be on record!

I dunno what to do for the best? I want the best for the baby but I fear at my stage of pregnancy I may have already left it too late- whatever damage to be done from not having bloods would have probably been done long before now- at least in my mind anyway lol!
So then I tell myself that if that's the way I'm gonna look at it, why go thru the mental trauma of having the tests done and having that agonising wait to find out what's wrong!
I'm due the bloods Friday- I keep telling myself if I just get over the test I'll be fine because once the bloods taken, that'd it, it's beyond my control so whatever the results will be will basically "be"...
I'm quite scared to be honest with u! I worry every day as labour gets closer of something serious occuring during childbirth due to a problem that could have been picked up in bloods, never being picked up at all because of my refusal!

The way you are thinking is down to the anxiety so there isn't any point is offering any reassurances because long term that just makes the anxiety worse because you then look to others for constant reassurance.

There is plenty of time to take some direct action, get yourself some self-help stuff specific to health anxiety if you can, if not general anxiety CBT approach should over some help. Also chat to your GP as they might be able to get you some access to psychological support relatively quickly depending on where you live but generally speaking its more likely that there would be a wait time.

At the end of the day you do have a choice about how you spend the time between now and the baby coming. You can either continue as is or you can be proactive about seeking support to challenge some of your worries :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->