Can you have pethidine at a home birth?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by ellie1275, Sep 3, 2009.

1. ellie1275

ellie1275 pregnant- 2nd trimester

does anyone know if the mw's can administer pethidine at a home birth?

:wacko:

2. Laura--x

Laura--x Guest

Im pretty sure the only pain relief you can have at a homebirth is gas and air x

3. craftymum

craftymum Mum to Jacob and Jenna

I think you can if you collect it on prescription on approval from your Doctor or MW, need to check for sure though

4. Terri1985

Terri1985 Well-Known Member

My friend had a home birth and she got a prescription for it from the doctor so the midwife could use it. . . she didnt use it in the end though lol she just sat in the bath for most of it and used gas and air :thumbup:

5. Bumblebee23

Bumblebee23 mum of 1 & pregnant

Yep!
    im getting mine tomorrow from the chemists-the doc had to talk 2 my midwife 2 check i wasn't fibbing (yes i just ate too many cakes its not a baby in there!!! MEN!!!) ill b having gas and air too and my TENS machine-just talk 2 ur midwife about it! :hugs:

6. diz

diz Well-Known Member

yes you can, you need a prescription from your DR (my midwife organized it all and i just picked up the medication)

7. Rees

Rees Mummy and Pregnant

yep, you need the prescription as everyone has said, although my midwife said that the last time she actually used it was about 6 years ago!

although i've completely forgotten to go and get my prescription! lol, never mind, i'll do it with just gas and air! eek! lol