Can you paint and draw with a 14 month old?

bluebaby

Wife & mum to a princess
Reaction score
I am just thinking of some activities I could do with LO at the weekends that are new and a bit different than just playing with her normal toys as I want our time together to be fun cause I work full time and weekends are all we have.

I was thinking about finger painting or drawing with crayons but not sure if she is still too young. I just have visions of her licking the paint and eating the crayons :haha:

If anyone has got any other ideas they would be appreciated :flower:

Olivia loves painting and drawing! We began using wax crayons at around 9 months and she never tried to put them in her mouth. Olivia loves painting but hates getting it on her hands lol.

All LO's are different though but I am sure that you will be fine as long as you keep an eye on her :)

Painting is a def thumbs up! Crayons my LO just eats the end of them so might be a little young yet?

Worth a try tho!

Sam loves to draw!! We use washable felts from early learning. He's pretty good and doesn't try to eat them!! We've not braved paint yet tho, I will soon!
I'm using it as a way of learning colours! x

My son loves to put paint in his hair and all over me - any painting session is an excuse to make a huge mess. He's managed to get the paint onto the paper a couple of times, but generally just likes throwing it around still :wacko:

As long as you don't mind the mess painting will be fun :).

Omar didnt show any interest in crayons or his aquadoodle. I'm planning to get some water markers & hand paints today :) We'r planning to start tom

Weve been painting and drawing since 6 months. River loves it.

It can get VERY messy though :)

we love painting in this house! big roll of paper on the floor and some trays with paint in, Lucas stripped down to vest and nappy and basically just let him crawl or walk all over it :)

He also enjoys crayoning when were having quiet times...much less messy I must say :haha:

I do fingerpaint and crayon drawing with Emma and her little friends all the time. Just make sure the paint and crayons are non-toxic since it's pretty likely your LO will try to eat them at somepoint, lol :)

Aquadoodle is a good option if mess scares you :thumbup: We also fingerpaint with chocolate pudding as a treat sometimes (we've glued pink pig cut outs on top when it's dry).

Have fun! :)

Noah likes drawin with crayons for short periods, but hates painting but he's really anal about being messy. xx

Boots do some ELC chunky crayons that I was looking at for Evie but I'm so scared that she will try to eat them and paint as everything she gets her hands on is straight in her mouth!

Simple Food Based Finger Paint
•½ cup of cornstarch
•¼ cup of sugar
•2 cups cold water
•Food coloring
This simple finger paint recipe may not be the tastiest if your toddler eats it, but it is made up of completely non-toxic, edible ingredients so you don't have to worry about any chemicals touching your toddler's skin.

Mix the cornstarch and sugar together. Slowly stir in the water and mix well. Put the mixture in a pot on the stove over medium heat and heat for about 5 minutes or until the mixture develops a gel-like texture. Separate the mixture into several smaller containers and add a few drops of food coloring to each container.

I just googled edible paint for toddlers & this recipe came up - I think it's the better than some of the others as its safe but not delicious so you won't be encouraging your LO to think of paint as something to eat!

What type of crayons do you use? DD tries to eat all of the pencils and stuff she can get her hands on.

Some kids are ready for crayons & painting at a young age. Typical age is more like 18months . Megan is not close to ready. She is a child who is obsessed w/ everything going in her mouth though. She has a meltdown over the crayons or brushes as ALL she wants to do w/ them is eat them. We aren't trying again til she is a little older.

Megan does better w/ things like playing w/ dough when I'm baking - as it is fun to play w/ WHILE she eats it. (Like flour/water mixture type idea)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->