Can you tell if your boobies are empty?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Chellebelle, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Chellebelle

Chellebelle mummy to Simeon

I got Simeon weighed last week, and he has always been on the dark middle line in the little red book, but when I got him weighed last week he has dropped under it. The health visitor said not to worry and "you don't want a fat baby anyway do you" but I have been worrying that I am no longer producing enough milk or I am just not feeding him enough.

Since then, I have found myself getting back into feeding every chance I get during the day and when he has his last big feed before bed, I worry that he isn't getting enough. He feeds for about 10 mins, then crys and I feel like he has emptied one side, so he goes on the other, and it is the same again.

This might sound silly, but is there a way that you can tell if your boobs are 'empty'? :blush: if I know that they are then I might try offering him a bottle to complementary feed at night, but if they aren't then I know that he is just being fussy and a bit colicky.

2. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

Mine feel exactly the same all the time now....I think at 3 months they wont be filling and emptying the same now - they will produce on demand. Mine only feel 'full' first thing in the morning now....and even then they arent hard or nobbly anymore :(

Have you seen the WHO BF based charts at the top of the board?

3. Beltane

Beltane Mother of 3 Boys!

Mine almost always feel empty but then before I know it, it's like a sprinkler all over the place. My ta-ta's are totally messing with me.

4. Chel

Chel Well-Known Member

I can usually tell cos I've just shrunk from a DD cup to a C cup!

Also, watching Jasper feed... the suck to swallow ratio goes up as the boobie empties.

At the start of the feed he's going *suck* *swallow* *suck* *swallow* *suck* *swallow*

And when the boobie is empty he goes *suck* *suck *suck*.... *suck* *suck*.... *swallow*...

5. Sarah88

Sarah88 Full time working mummy

Hun, I wouldn't give him a bottle if you want to successfully bf. Your breasts won't get the message to produce more milk, it's a downward cycle

6. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

I agree with Chel, if he's still nursing but not swallowing as often then the milk is likely getting a bit low. But there's no reason for your milk to be running out, you've fed successfully for 3 months, it's unlikely you have a supply problem.

7. carries

carries Mother of two under two!

I have this sometimes and think they are empty but if you can keep putting him back on the same boob then after a few sucks followed by winges because he isnt getting anything the milk starts to flow again. Your boobs work differently after 3 months and it isnt like an empty then wait to fill thing. Your letdown should produce more milk if you keep getting him to carry on suckling.

8. emma_27

emma_27 Well-Known Member

My boobs never get that full feeling anymore even when in the morning but when it comes to feeding time its there. Ellie had a drop on the lines as well but then 4 weeks later she was back up way above it so i wouldnt worry to much.

9. milkmachine

milkmachine Formally uv

i think mine are empty then i squeeze and they squirt...so i dont know really....

10. Chellebelle

Chellebelle mummy to Simeon

Thank you everyone, I feel more reassured now. I have a few tips and tricks to use now and it's good to know I am not the only one who gets that feeling.

Lisa - I'll have a look at that thread in a min - thank you :)

I am also thinking of trying a little baby rice before bed now just to help as he is almost 4 months - but I'll see how it goes. :)

xxx