Canadian Mamas!!- Hospital question

mummie2be

Reaction score
So lately I've been hearing conflicting things as to what the hospital provides for bubs after the delivery. Some people tell me that they don't supply anything anymore others say all I need to bring is a going home outfit & carseat.
What do you all suggest I bring for bubs?

my hospital had diapers, wipes, pads, even nipple ointment! just check with your hospital tho first, it might be different in different areas. im bringing, everything anyway, just to be safe. a couple diapers, a coyple outfits, lanoline cream for my nipples, breast pads, etc. bring toothpaste and shampoo for sure, as i dint think they supply that.:) good luck:)

Our hospital told us to bring all our own stuff...I'm In Ontario....they did HAVE everything in case we forgot or needed something but that was emergency only....I wanted all my own stuff regardless because I knew it was all stuff I'd read up on and was ok with her using....when you go for your hospital tour they will clarify

For me I'm planning on taking the basic toiletries, a baggy tshirt and track pants, nipple cream, breast pads, nursing bra and maxi pads.
I have a hospital tour next week so hopefully they will fill me in then on what I need.

probably depends on the hospital.. mine gives me nothing.. so just double check before hand

In Manitoba, they provide maternity pads, diapers, blanket and some kind of outfit for baby. But at our prenatal class (ran by a nurse who works at the hospital we're going to), she suggested bringing your own clothes for after delivery and outfits for baby because everything in the hospital is washed with heavy duty soap and can be irritating. I'm bringing my own toiletries as well.

I'd call your hospital & ask. Some provide things, some have kits of stuff you can buy and others (like mine) provide practically nothing. We bring it all - diapers, wipes, sleepers, hats, blankets & I even bring my own breast pump. For me I bring pads,undies, toiletries, etc

I brought everything that I wanted to have with me - my own shampoo, conditioner, soap - for me and baby, our own diapers, wipes, vaseline, pads, nursing pads, nipple cream, towel for baby. I prefer to have my favourite brands with me...

My hospital supplied: pads (industrial strength - which were needed!!!), baby wash, a few diapers, towels for showering, swaddle blankets for baby (will be bringing my own this time), hat for baby.

My hospital also had a breast pump that was soooooo helpful to use. I was able to pump colostrum as my son didn't latch right away, and the nurses helped me along the way. I brought my own pump, but didn't use it and thankful for that because I wouldn't have been able to clean it well. Be sure to ask your hospital if they have pumps for you to use!

I had to bring baby's going home outfit and soap/shampoo for myself. They had diapers, blankets for swaddling, pads, nipple cream samples. My friend gave birth at another nearby hospital and had to bring diapers.

Don't forget money :) They didn't feed OH (he stayed over) but my friend who gave birth in the same hospital got meals for both herself and her OH, they had a private room. Mine was not technically a private room but no one else was in the room.

it's my understanding that they supply everything you need but I saw the little outfits they have for baby. i'm pretty sure it was an open back smock lol i'm bringing all my own clothes and blankets BC I want baby to be comfy and have clothes that smell like home.

My hospital provided me with practically nothing. They gave me a bit of formula on request, and a little hat after he was born, but that's it. We had to bring our own diapers, pads, toiletries, clothing for baby, wipes, etc. it varies a lot regionally, but they will give you a list when you pre-register

In Nova Scotia you need to provide your own diapers, wipes and clothes. The hospital will provide you pads and a hospital gown but you will need to bring everything for baby. This just changed last summer right after I had my son.

I gave birth to my first baby in a hospital in Toronto in 2009 and they did not provide anything, I had to bring everything from home. They gave me a bag with promotional items such as 2 sanitary pads and couple of diapers for the baby but that was all. I would assume they may have been able to give me another sanitary pads should I have requested, but just because I had everything (as instructed during the hospital tour at 7 months pregnant) from home, they did not give me anything except for that promotional items bag. they did provide a blanket and a hat for the baby right after he was born, but they dressed him in the outfits from home several hours after. To tell you the truth I did not know or expect they will provide anything like that so I was prepared with all the necessary stuff. I stayed in a private room because I had private insurance from my workplace and got to choose my meals (when I filled out the pre-admission papers) which were really healthy and tasty.
I guess it all depends on each hospital and moreover on each province health plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->