canadian moms and nuchal scan

is their anyway you could have a private scan done? :shrug:

Thing is, I shouldnt HAVE to pay for it myself... because dating scans and buchal scans and anatomical scans are all covered under our health care system.

I had it done last week (11wks 6 days). I'm in Ontario.
My doctor suggested that I do the scan and then IPS blood test right afterwards on the same day. The blood lab told me results will come back in 2 weeks time.

I'm 30 and I wasn't given an option of whether or not I wanted to do it.

I had mine at 11+6 and went back for better measurements 10 days later. I'm in Ontario.

I thought it was routine for all women, not just older women. My GP's nurse booked mine and I was 22 at the time.

In Ontario, and well you know mine was done just before 12 weeks... completely covered and not done with any special procedure really, I was 18 at the time and very low risk. Offered to me routinely at my office. Honestly I am so surprised at how different your 1st trimester prenatal care has been from how mine went, and we are both in Ontario :wacko: (My doctor expected I would have been in as soon as I found out I was pregnant and was not impressed I was coming in at 10 weeks, etc)

It doesn't need any special ultrasound equipment that I'm aware of, they used the same machine and same little probe/wand thing as they used at my ultrasound at 19 weeks.. but I was also at a large city & a large hospital. Not sure if the ultrasound technician may need extra training or something? :flower:

In New Brunswick the standard is an ultrasound at 20 weeks unless you're high risk. And here, they must use special equipment also, because you used to have to travel to another city to get the screening scan done even when normal ultrasounds were done here. Sounds like it varies a lot by province. I know New Brunswick is in pretty bad shape as far as the patient to doctor ratio, so maybe that's why. I think it's ridiculous to have to wait that long, so I guess I'm lucky that I'll be 35 only a month before my due date!

Hey ryder! From AB here my nuchal scan is between 11-13 weeks mine is Jan 18th I'll be about 12 weeks then.

Im booked for the IPS Scan on Jan 23rd, it will be my first ultrasound. The doc told me I had the option of doing it or not. It was my choice... Its definately covered by OHIP.

Hi, I am 25 and live in Ontario, in a rural area and I got a nuchal scan done at our local hospital (definitly no special equipment here) at 12+3 or so. I was given this option from my OB and it was an ultrasound combined with a blood test at 12-13 weeks and again at 18 weeks. I also got another routine ultrasound at 20 weeks. This should be offered to you as it is a part of routine health care and it is covered by OHIP. It is all called IPS screening. I had to call and set up the appointment but my OB faxed the refferal sheet to the hospital. Your midwife should do the same, i have now switched to a midwife and they fax all the refferals and I make the appointments so they fit in my schedule. Hope you get the screening if you want it.

Anyone know if it's possible to get it done just after 13 weeks???
I'm away from home and can't get back until just in the new year...

ahh things are making sense. My midwife said that at our next appointment (Jan 11 - I'll be 9 wks) we will discuss testing and scans. So she may have been referring to the IPS. DH and I agreed as long as the test posed no harm to baby we would do (at least if it wasn't really invasive). The midwife made it seem like they had all the equipment in house. ow many scans do you normally during pregnancy? I know that they are covered, but its my first so I'm kinda new to this lol!

Nightkd, the private scan you had at 13 weeks they should've been able to see the things they need to see at the nuchal scan as it's just a regular ultrasound where they measure the size of the neck of the baby.

It was a private U/S studio and they didn't offer any medical procedures at all. Literally we just paid to see Bean, because my ob-gyn's office haven't shown any interest in giving me an U/S :shrug: I guess maybe because I'm low risk they don't see the point (of doing the tests)?

xx

From what I can tell it's not offered in as many places because NT scans require special training and equipment. Not sure how many there are in Ontario but in all of BC there is only 9 places that offer NT scans per BC prenatel screening unless you go private.

Anyone know if it's possible to get it done just after 13 weeks???
I'm away from home and can't get back until just in the new year...

Yes. You can do the scan up until you're 13+6. According to my doctor.
Good luck!

Hi, I am 25 and live in Ontario, in a rural area and I got a nuchal scan done at our local hospital (definitly no special equipment here) at 12+3 or so. I was given this option from my OB and it was an ultrasound combined with a blood test at 12-13 weeks and again at 18 weeks. I also got another routine ultrasound at 20 weeks. This should be offered to you as it is a part of routine health care and it is covered by OHIP. It is all called IPS screening. I had to call and set up the appointment but my OB faxed the refferal sheet to the hospital. Your midwife should do the same, i have now switched to a midwife and they fax all the refferals and I make the appointments so they fit in my schedule. Hope you get the screening if you want it.

Thanks, im hoping the midwife I go with will do it for me. We have several special imaging places within like 5 mins of each other. And I know most people have had it here.

hey sweetie :hugs:

Can you phone your GP now and ask about it? So they can book it for you when you get back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->