Can't find hb on sonoline b doppler

BethK

Reaction score
I'm 10 weeks tomorrow and have spent a good 10 minutes trying to find baby's hb but I cant :(

It's making me very worried, even though I had a scan 2 days ago which was perfect.

When I met with my midwife, she told me that it is not uncommon to have a hard time finding the heartbeat until around 12 weeks or not being able to at all. I didn't hear our son's heartbeat until I was just over 13 weeks, and even then it took her a couple of minutes to find it which had me panicking, but his HB was 152-153! :). I wouldn't worry too much.

I got my doppler out at 10+4 to try and find it and it took me ages. I hadn't had a scan or anything so didn't really believe there was anything in there. Have you used one before? It takes loads of practice, lots of gel/oil and patience at this early stage. Honestly, I tried for ages first time. Make sure you are trying really low on your public bone - or even on your pubic bone for now. And remember, you are super early and there is probably more chance that you won't find it than you will.

I was wondering the same thing. Do you think that only the super skinny girls find it early? All the you tube videos I have seen where the girls found it at 8 weeks look so skinny to me. It's harder for girls with a muffin top like me :/ lol

Try not to worry too much! I had weekly appointments with my MW and she couldn't find the baby's heartbeat until I was 17 weeks. That's the reason I avoided buying one, despite being tempted x

Edited to say, I also have a posterior placenta so it's not as though the baby was hiding.

Thanks everyone.

I have used one before, had one for my DD.

Maybe I'll try again in a few days :)

Doesn't help that yesterday my morning sickness disappeared :(

I do have excess fat on my tummy too so that won't help :/

Me too Beth. Tried twice yesterday and once today and no luck. I promised myself when I bought it that I wouldn't stress and if I found hb it'd be s bonus. Can you hear the whooshing of the placenta? I can really clearly which makes me wonder if it's anterior like with dd. if baby's behind the placenta I doubt you'd hear it this early.
I know it's so hard but do try not to worry, try again later or tomorrow. Good luck. Xx

Ps other than slightly sore boobs, I have zero symptoms, the slight nausea I had has gone. Xx

Thanks Mrs B!

Yes I can hear the whooshing, maybe it is at the front, hopefully we won't have long to wait till our scans for reassurance! X

Have you had any early scans with your clinic? We had one at 6&8 weeks and then we paid for a private one at 10wks. Am hoping I can make it my Nhs scan on 7th without freaking out!!

Am not convinced the doppler is going to be my friend! If I have no luck in the next few days I might put it away.

I'm a worrier but just really trying to be positive.

Xx

Drink some juice, relax and try again in an hour or so! Try not to stress :hugs:

Just noticed our girls are really close on age and these babies will be too!! Xx

Yes we've had a scan at 5.5 weeks, 6.5 weeks, 7.5 weeks and 9.4 weeks.

I have my booking in appointment on Wednesday, hoping to get a date for my scan then, I'll be 10w5d.

I'm thinking if my scan is late I may book a private one.

We've not told our DD, but she's always asking for a baby! She wants to call it Glonda! :wacko:

Maybe the placenta is anterior! I panicked as i found HB at 8+3 and couldn't for a whole week.. turns out placenta is right in front of baby

Oh and I worried myself so much I had a private scan yesterday and was convinced there would be no heartbeat! safe to say the doppler has gone away

Kerrie, I think a doppler is either your best friend or worst enemy!! I'm with holding judgement at the mo!

Beth, we've not told dd either but yeah most weeks she asks me for a sister!! Reckon if we're patient we'll hear those bubs soon. Am really tempted to book another scan tho! The weeks are just going so slowly!!
Xx

Yes I think I'll book another scan. I'll wait to see what the MW says on Wednesday. I'm away until then anyway so the time should go fast.

I presume a private scan can be done relatively quickly? Faster than NHS ones anyway?

I'm guessing as I'll be 10w5d before my booking in appointment then my 12 week scan will be more like 14 weeks.

In that case I'll book a private one.

Just noticed you're from Bournemouth. My DH is from there, we go back to visit family there regularly, it's a lovely place :)

My private scan was done in 5 minutes, listened to the HB, checked around the baby etc. Got a report and 3 photos for £40. Well worth the reassurance! xx

Midwife couldnt find hb on me til 13ish weeks. I'm on the small side too. I'm sure everything is fine but I know it's worrying :hugs:

I found mine for the first time at 10+5... I can only even now at 12+4 find it first thing in the morning when i wake up and before i pee. I still find the hb quite low close to pubic line. It took me 30 minutes the first time and i found it when i was giving up lol

Start with it directly under belly button but close to pubic hair line and move slow to one side then slow to the other with a decent amount of pressure. Mines usually within 1.5 inches either way of my belly button but by hair line

If you do find a hb, check it against your pulse to make sure it isnt yours. I usually find mine first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->