car boot sale advice

lynne192

mum 2 James & Libby
Reaction score
i am gutting my house as need to move into a smaller house i am getting rid of alot of clothes, books and toys, the most of the items i have are baby clothes, i am unsure how to price the stuff i want to sell it but would like to get something back for it, alot of the stuff has tags on it....

i have boxes of boys and girls clothes, and shoes.... have wrote up roughly what might be good asking price....

would love advice on pricing and selling at car boot sale etc....

any advice would be great xxx

I've found that alot of people at car boot do simply want something for nothing. :(

what i was thinking was:

slippers: 75p each pair (mostly brand new)
little dress shoes: £1-£2 each pair (some with tags)
snowsuits: £3-£5 each pair? (most have tags)
boots: £2 each pair
hats: 20p each
jackets/jumpers: £1.20 - £3 each (most with tags on them)
dressy dresses £2-£5 (some are sets and most brand new)
baby grows: 10-20p each
socks: 5p per pair

tigger door bouncy £2
pooh light show £3
pooh bedding £4-£5

Wedding dress: £60 (brand new never worn cost me £400)
adults shoes: £2

Books 25p-£1 (depending on book)

blankets: 50p-£1

loads of other things but off the top of my head these are things i can think of....

what do you think?

I think you should put your items on ebay!

your prices sound about right, i always go to carbootsales every sunday and most people sell there things at the same sort of prices you have mentioned.
people will try to knock the prices down though, most baby clothes without tags are usually 50p to £1 at my car boots i go to.

also take plenty of change and maybe some bags for peoples items they buy from you.
and a flask of tea and some snacks.

I think you should put your items on ebay!

I agree, so much easier and you will probably get much more for each item, car boots are a lot of hassle and as has been said people really do want something for nothing, you'll get offered 5p for items you want £5 for!

Good luck though

you will always get people trying to get the prices futher down as well. if you think an item is worth more then stick to you guns.

If you need rid of the clothes though, 10p is better than having to take it all back iykwim?

When i go, they do deals for like 1 pair of shoes for a £1 or two for £1.50 ect xx

thanks for advice all, i considered Ebay but didn't want to pay for listing for all my items, i have tried to post some things on gumtree but have had no luck, i have a brand new wedding dress (never been worn) etc and want to get rid of it but don't want to get nothing for it either because it cost me a fortune. i don't know where else there might be worth posting classifed in papers they can often charge you a fortune, at least with the carboot sale it will only cost £10.i don't know what to do, my MIL has taken away alot of stuff so we can sell it at the carboot sale, i guess i just wont rid of it but would like to get something for it as we're moving and would like to have some money behind us for that... i wish i could use the sellers post on here but for some reson i can't think its because i haven;t been a member for long enough :(

To use the Sell/Buy/Wanted you need to have been a member for at least 3mths and have 250+ posts.

We are considering a carboot at the weekend as have loads of things that we need to get shut of but wont be worth putting on Ebay etc.

yeah had seen that, sadly not got time to wait. really a shame. i really would love for the dress and such to go to someone who deserves it. i guess i could post it on ebay but would prob wait for a 1p posting day not sure if there is any of them coming up soon....

it really isn't that expensive to sell on ebay, I recently sold around £100 worth of things (lots of little bits) and my sellers fees were only £4

i posted something on ebay last night and it cost me £1.25 per item. because i have loads of stuff think i would be there all night listening it and would then need to pay the £1.25 on each item.

i posted something on ebay last night and it cost me £1.25 per item. because i have loads of stuff think i would be there all night listening it and would then need to pay the £1.25 on each item.

that's expensive, if you start an item at under .99p the listing is free!

Does your local paper have a free ad section? Where I used to live, they had a supplement called Quids In once a week. It was free to post ads for under £100 and you could make bundles of basic stuff and sell more expensive stuff separately.

If you go down the car book route, I'm a sucker for "£1 each or £4 for 5" type offers!

Hmm, eBay shouldn't be so expensive! If you start with a lower starting price, the fees are cheaper, and you can set a reserve! It'll probably all end up costing less than the car boot charge, and you'll probably end up with more money from it!
Have you thought about eBaying some of the clothes as a bundle to save money?

Knowing that people at car boots love a bargin, I'd be a bit cheaky and price things a bit higher than what you really want and then when someone asks for a deal you've got a bit of give and your not really loosing out. Im going to be doing the same soon! x

Just a thought but have you considered trying to sell your dress on one of the wedding forums. I think one of them was confetti if I recall correctly, and a couple more I just cant remember. Its worth a try, and if its brand new I think its reasonable to put a higher price, people will always try to knock it down! You don't want to loose out too much..

wedding dress i would definately try sell somewhere else ebay, through free ads or whatever - car boot is not the place for it, it will end up dirty (even on the best of days) and if it doesnt sell, you are then left with a bigger problem x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->