Carbon monoxide detectors

Yo_Yo

Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...cks-brain-damage-strokes.html#article-2534890

Was reading the above article about a mum who lost her boy to a carbon monoxide leak.
So sad, but wanted to share as it highlights the importance of having one on every level of your house. Even if you don't have gas as this happened from a neighbouring house.

Going to buy one for my kids rooms.

Please spread the word x

Yes I think they are crucial. I think it should be law for landlords to provide them in rented properties. x

It's heartbreaking. We have two in the house, one in the kitchen by the boiler & one in living room for the log burner. We had a chimney fire last year without realising and our chimney sweep told us the importance of the detector.

I had two friends last year on fb who had their detectors go off....

Everyone should have one

So sad :cry:

They should be treated the same as smoke detectors and required in every house.

We have one in our kitchen by the boiler

I have one but tbh I've never even looked at it, it's up on the ceiling, I only know what it is because my Mum has one too. I know it has a light on it but how do you know if there's a leak - do they sound? Can they be tested like a smoke alarm does anyone know?

We recently moved into our house in nov, last week I read something on here I think and all of a sudden it clicked.. We had no carbon monoxide detector... Dble checked with oh and next thing in on e bay ordering one. Got one for a tenner ish.. Turned up in a few days a it's now all set up in the kitchen. At the same time I got oh to test the fire alarms too. We had one in our old place but it only just clicked then with our new place that we didn't have one. Defo think they should be as required as smoke detectors as rented properties have to have smoke detectors

I thought they were a requirement in rented properties?
We rent our house and we fit one as the British gas man said we would need to.

If it isn't legal, your right, should be.

Such a lovely little boy, it's so sad.

Oh, thank you for the reminder! I don't think we ever set our up since we moved and we have a gas furnace too. I'm going to ask DH about it tonight.

So sad!

Last night I was actually in my kitchen looking at the carbon monoxide detector and heat detector randomly then I woke up to that story :(

I thought they were a requirement in rented properties?
We rent our house and we fit one as the British gas man said we would need to.

If it isn't legal, your right, should be.

Such a lovely little boy, it's so sad.

I only thought fire alarms were, happy for someone to correct me, might be able to get the tenner back from ll in that case but not too worried as all I care about is that I have one. Couple of our friends don't have one in rented houses,mentioned the other day as one of them was round when it got delivered. Don't know why u would want to have one as they are inexpensive for what they are worth

we have got 2 one in the kitchen and one in the living room. xxx

My housing company have put one in our back hall (near the gas burner) and our landing (near the boiler). It's their policy to do so, which is a good thing :)

My detector went off last night. We had to get national grid to come and turn the gas off until we had it checked today. It was a false alarm but i do wonder why this is never enforced the way fire alarms are.

They should be more heard of. We have 2 in our house. One built into the smoke detector and downstairs and then one near our boiler. x

Its a requirement here in California. We have them in all new homes and all rental properties.

I think I heard that ceiling ones aren't great because carbon monoxide is quite heavy so can take a while to rise to set the alarm off? Portable alarms that can be put more around waist height are better? I think I heard that on This Morning lol, the MOD issue portable ones in our houses.

The way our boiler man went on about them , I had assumed it was a requirememnt. I got one a few years back.

Thanks, that's reminded me I must get one for this house we're in now:thumbup:

We are in a 3 bed house and it had no smoke alarms at all when I moved in. I spoke to the fire service to get them installed and get a fire home safety check but they do not do it for free anymore and I had to pay £25. I then asked the landlord to reimburse me but he refused, unbelievably, he isn't legally required to supply them so he wouldn't. There are some exceptions to this, I think in properties that have shared areas and similar things but not in my situation. I confirmed it with CAB and the fire service as I was livid lol.

Also reminded me. I've been meaning to get one for a while but keep managing to forget. Buying it today.

The recent story is so tragic. Poor poor parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->