Carpel Tunnel

cvaeh

Reaction score
I am 24 weeks pregnant and for the last couple of nights have been waking up in the night with a numb hand, tingly fingers and throbbing middle finger. It keeps me up all night and I'm shattered by morning. It seems to go during the day (having said that it seems to be starting early today). I phoned the midwife and she basically said it's coz my hands will be swelling slightly that pinch the nerves, resulting in carpel tunnel. She said there was nothing that could be done about it but to let my midwife know at my next appointment. I am an infant teacher ( with a rather lively class) so avoiding writing and typing is impossible especially when the head is telling me to mark in great detail . Anyone got any remedies or advice? Xx

Oh man. This is rough. I had it so bad last time. Night was the worst. The pain would get so intense that I wanted to gnaw my hands off at the wrists. At times I would literally bite them just to feel a different sensation other than the pain from the carpal tunnel. Eventually my doctor just decided to prescribe Tylenol 3s because I could not sleep at all and I was beyond miserable. I hated taking them but I was way past desperate at that point. :(

This time I've not had any issues with this yet. (Knock on wood...) I'm actually in worse shape than last time (being a bit heavier and older) so I expected it to be pretty bad. Thankfully, that hasn't been the case. I'm not sure if it's just luck or if some of my habits make a difference. I'm on the computer less now... I'm also on a low-dose aspirin regimen. The biggest difference I can think of, though, is that I no longer salt everything to death. I'm thinking that may play a part because excess sodium contributes to water retention and swelling, which can exacerbate things like carpal tunnel.

It's probably different for everyone, though. I hope you're able to find some relief soon. I hate that you're not able to reduce the activities that may aggravate it... Would a computer dictation program be an option for some of the records you have to keep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->