Cars and seats with three children?!

BecksBabyB

Reaction score
Hi

I'm not sure where best to write this post but I'm getting stressed thinking about fitting my three children into the car. I'm in the UK and I have a 4 year old and I'm expecting twins. We have a Peugeot 3008 (company car so can't be changed - yet) and a Vauxhall Insignia estate (owned car, could change if really necessary). I don't know where to start when thinking about car seats and fitting everyone in. Are there car seats that will fit in the back? Will I have to put my 4 year old in the front and me sit in the back (when oh drives). Will I need certain type car seats that are slimmer?!

I have no idea...any advice or experiences would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Bx

I live in the US, but I had a Honda Oddessey when I had three rear-facing car seats. I accessed one rear-facing carseat from the trunk for easiest access. Yes, that sounds really nutty, but it was great! I don't know what options you have in the UK, but I'd definitely go shopping for minivans and DO keep in mind how long these car seats need to be rear facing. I keep my kids rear facing until they're at least 3. When my fourth was born, I got rid of the minivan after a few months and moved to a full sized van (a Mercedes Benz Sprinter). We also have a smaller crossover for OH's use.

I'm not sure how car shopping is there, but we brought the car seats with us and tested them out, even used our older child in each place to make sure we could easily lift a heavier baby into the car seat and buckle them in even if they're kicking. We had our eyes set on a different car, but we realized our rear facing car seats wouldn't fit in it properly, even though the specs looked good... So I'm thankful we brought our actual car seats with us for testing. Good luck! This is not one of the fun parts... haha

I ended up having to buy a new car as 3 carseats wouldnt fit in the back of my car. We got a Dacia Duster which fits 2 upto 18kg carseats and a baby/isofix carseat.

The law on it is quite confusing, if you dont have room for 3 carseats the eldest child can sit on a booster in the middle but at the same time it is against the law for children under 12 or under a certain height to have a booster? Makes no sense to me.
Im not much help but id never have fit 3 carseats into my old corsa or fiesta its a push even with my 4x4

Also as above poster said you can take your carseats with you and sew if they fit i just found it all a big faff and also found it stressful as most bigger cars were out of my price range

I have a Ford Focus, and 3 car seats don't fit across the back. When all of us are in the car we have one of my older children in the front, and I have to squeeze in the middle of the other 2 seats in the back.

We're getting a new car soon because that's not ideal, and there just isn't enough luggage room if we go overnight anywhere. We're looking at either a Ford S Max, a VW Touran or a C4 Picasso. These 3 cars all have a 5 seater option where 3 car seats will fit in a row in the back, and have more luggage capacity than our current car. I don't want a 7 seater and I wouldn't want any of our children sitting in the 'boot' area (just personal choice).

If buying a new car isn't an option I would go to Halfords and just see what works. When I was having my third I got a ford galaxy but I had a fiesta before that and knew there was no way my seats would fit (I do extended rear facing). My three are in a line at the moment but it is awkward to get the child in the middle in

I have 3 kids and a Peugeot 3008 too :thumbup:

At the minute its usually just me and the kids in the car so have the two older in the back and baby in the front. But when DH is with us we have to put my 5yr old in the front, 3yr old in the back, baby in the back in the middle and then one us on the other seat in the back. We cannot fit three seats across the back right now with a baby car seat but I'm hoping that a high backed booster will fit better with the other two high backed boosters we already have when the time comes to switch but that will be a way off yet. My car is paid off next year so considering selling it and buying something else.

Hi, we have a Ford Kuga and can just about fit 3 seats in the back! I have the 4 year old in the middle in a graco junior maxi, I have to plug her seatbelt in before the baby. Then the 3 year old is in a Halfords own brand high back booster, this was the thinnest seat I could find. Then the baby is in the isofix maxi cosi behind the driver. It is a bit of a squash, if you got a thin seat for the 4 year old you might fit 2x baby seats in but probably not on the isofix base. Sorry, not much help!

That's lots of help! Thank you everyone!
I'm going to go and have a chat in Halfords at the weekend. It's going to take some time getting everyone out of the house 😂 I don't know how you ladies do it!
Bx

Children can ride in the front in the UK?

Here in the US, they're in the back no matter what.

My sil has her 3rd on the way and she drives a Toyota Camry. I Googled 3 car seats in a Camry, and low and behold, there were blogs about how to fit them and which car seats work best for smaller spaces.

Maybe Google your situation and see what others have done?

Children can ride in the front in the UK?

Here in the US, they're in the back no matter what.

My sil has her 3rd on the way and she drives a Toyota Camry. I Googled 3 car seats in a Camry, and low and behold, there were blogs about how to fit them and which car seats work best for smaller spaces.

Maybe Google your situation and see what others have done?

Yes they can go in front if air bags are turned off, although the back is recommended

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->