Castor oil?? Just want to know if it worked?

phoebemum

Reaction score
Ladies

Im officiallly at the end of my tether and I still have 9 days to go.

Was really against trying castor oil but someone just told me I really should try it.

Just wondered if it worked for anyone (or didn't).

Bit worried about buying it though as I heard it can just give you bad trips to the toilet!

I'm worse off this pregnancy, and I stand firm that I will NOT try this again.

First, the taste. You can't imagine how horrible this stuff is. I tried everything to cover it up. Like , a chocolate oreo fudge sundae couldn't cover this taste. Or orante juice.

Second. It didn't work . It didn't make me sick either,though I've heard several ladies say it gave them the runs. And who wants the runs while they push a baby out and have labor contractions???

Id reccomend asking for a sweep. That's what worked for me.

Good luck!

A big no no, it can cause baby distress and make it pass meconium in it's waters. Steer well clear, the side effects for you will be horrible too.

It's not good for the baby, can make them poo inside you. I wouldnt

My friend used castor oil with her last and she bled from her bum and couldn't get off the loo for hours because of diarrhea and bad stomach cramps! It didn't start her labour off she ended up having an emergency c-section x

I'm worse off this pregnancy, and I stand firm that I will NOT try this again.

First, the taste. You can't imagine how horrible this stuff is. I tried everything to cover it up. Like , a chocolate oreo fudge sundae couldn't cover this taste. Or orante juice.

Second. It didn't work . It didn't make me sick either,though I've heard several ladies say it gave them the runs. And who wants the runs while they push a baby out and have labor contractions???

Id reccomend asking for a sweep. That's what worked for me.

Good luck!

Thanks! Getting a sweep on Monday at 39+2. I think its just going round and round in my head now that I want baby here. Finding the end very hard when dealing with SPD and a 2 year old! x

My friend used castor oil with her last and she bled from her bum and couldn't get off the loo for hours because of diarrhea and bad stomach cramps! It didn't start her labour off she ended up having an emergency c-section x

Oh god, that sounds awful. Maybe I'm just best steering well clear.

Had a great birth last time and don't want to really start messing around but when someone said it worked great and she was going to do it this time, it made me think I should :wacko:

i wouldnt as its just going to cause terrible stomach ache and the runs, which is last thing you need! good luck:)

I have considered it before then when my friend had her experience I vowed to never touch the stuff and let nature take its course or induction! I know they wont sell it to you if your pregnant. (They don't where we live anyways)
Hopefully thinks will start soon for you :) I ate a hot curry with my last and that worked :D x

Its not worth the risk, monconium can be dangerous, it happened on both mine and didn't have castor oil and they had to have tests before leaving hospital for hearing and all sorts. Its still noted now about monconium and they where tested as they got older. There is worse than can happen also. I rather go 2 weeks near over due like I did than risk this. My own mum took castor oil and I was very ill on birth. Your baby will come just be patient.

I'm glad you came and asked about it instead of just trying it and live to regret it! Hopefully the sweep will get things started ;)

[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Getting a sweep on Monday at 39+2. I think its just going round and round in my head now that I want baby here. Finding the end very hard when dealing with SPD and a 2 year old! x[/QUOTE]

I also have SPD and a 2(almost 3) year old, so I totally get it! I'm only 35 weeks and I'm ready to be done lol plus, my daughter is huge, so carrying her has become impossible, which seems to be all she wants these days. That and to " jump on you like a monkey!" :) on top of it all,even though this is my second, he is engaged. Not exciting.

But I promise the castor oil isn't worth it. Had my sweep Thursday afternoon,went into labor Friday around 10pm.

Hang in there!

Bless you the last part is always the worst, feeling for you I'm also suffering with SPD and have a 16 month old monster plus 5 and 8 year old boys! Hope things happen for you soon!! x

Any pregnancy that goes overdue is very prone to meconium. Castor oil, from MY research, doesn't cross the placenta. Do your own research and form your own opinion, but use credible sources, which does NOT include a forum, including MY opinion. You don't know who we are... lol.

Here's what my sister says about her experience: I used castor oil to induce labor - I had a pitocin induction scheduled for 2 days later, due to my baby's size, and wanted to avoid it. I discussed it with my doctor who said it's harmless in her opinion and is worth a shot if I'm willing to deal with the side effects - possible vomiting and definite diarrhea.

I used about half a bottle of castor oil in a large chocolate milk shake at lunch time - 12-1pm. Couldn't taste it. The milk shake was great! I went through my day as usual, no tummy trouble, and didn't think it worked. At around 9 pm, my water broke. THEN, I got the diarrhea. It was awful. I pooped all over the table during delivery, had to poop in a bed pan a few times BEFORE getting to that point because they didn't want me to "poop" the baby out. I was pooping so much that my poor midwife was trying to "plug" my anus so she could see what was going on as baby crowned and everything. My LO WAS born a day after my water broke, though! The castor oil definitely worked! And I was all cleaned out with delivery.

...............Not sure I'd wanna try it. LOL

Ehh I've heard some not so great things about castor oil. but you could always check with doctor or midwife if you really want to do it. The end is rough but your baby will come with time! Good luck.

Thanks ladies :hugs:

Thanks for the words of support from those in exactly the same position too!!

Think I'm just having a bit of an emotional meltdown about when baby is coming.

Really appreciate the replies to this and think from the sounds of things I should at least wait until my sweep.

Probably won't try it, some frightening stories on here!!!

Good luck to those in same situation too.

Very hard having a toddler and SPD. I would walk for miles if I could as I know that's meant to get things going but I can barely move to the end of the street :haha: xx

My mom used castor oil to start her labor with me. She said it made her to go to bathroom a LOT... but then her water broke, and labor started. She had a 12 hour labor and everything went fine. She says she didn't go #2 during her labor because she was already cleaned out from the castor oil. She swears by it.

Might try EPO. There is some information on taking it with coldeeze for inducing labor. Might be worth a shot! And it tastes better lol

Might try EPO. There is some information on taking it with coldeeze for inducing labor. Might be worth a shot! And it tastes better lol

Haven't heard of that but will do some research!!

I used castor oil with #6 to get him here. I went into labor within the hour and never had any untoward effects from it. Just labored all night and baby came with no meconium or any other complications. It was a home birth.

With #8 I had been having weeks of prodromal labor and decided to try castor oil to see if I could get him here. It was a horrid experience. It didn't work at all, just ended up putting me on the toilet for hours with miserable cramps and runs. I figured it was too early. Like an idiot, I tried it again a week later. Same result. It was awful.

I had a lot of prodromal labor with #9 as well and became desperate to get her here, but not so desperate that I would try castor oil again. My theory is that #6 was just ready to come but needed an extra push. I don't anticipate trying it again ever again. My midwife has had me use evening primrose oil gel capsules, poke a hole in them and insert them like a suppository to help soften the cervix, but it didn't really seem to do all that much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->