Cat advice please updated

Bittersweet

Complete(Boy/Girl)after losses and premature birth
Reaction score
I have just rescued a lovely 2 year old female. She is a housecat which is great and very friendly.

Temporarily she will be residing with my mums female house cat and two dogs (fine with cats).

Any advice or tips on the two females? Mums cat was with another female when she was younger for 5/6 years-she's 12 now. Both are lovely natured cats very spooky and both will be house cats mums cat is deaf.

Obviously if needs be we will separate my cat and mums but I'd hope that wasn't necessary a
Though have been warned

Update:
So far so good just sized each other up and then that was it new cat hd for a while bt now they are in same room no bother

I would make sure both cats have their own space where they can be away from the other if they want. I had two females who were sisters. They started off very close but would go through phases where they really didn't like each other. They would hiss if the accidentally got too close to each other, one would leave the room if the other came in etc But we made sure they both had their own beds in different rooms and had separate food bowls so they didn't have to eat together and they learned to tolerate each other. They would even occasionally lie together but it was a rare occasion lol

Other than that just making sure that you divide attention equally to prevent them getting jealous and hopefully you will be fine. If you have anything like blankets etc from the place your cat is coming from it would be good to keep those for the first while and don't wash them the familiar smell will help the cat relaxe a little and you can use to hlp her identify where her bed will be etc I also read rubbing it around the walls etc at cat head height so she can smell her scent in the new place already might help to ease any anxiety she feels from th move as moving house can be pretty unsetting for a cat.

That's really helpful thank you. As my mums cat is older in worried about them fighting? I hope they can give me something for her (mine) to settle. She will be in the cupboard in the living room mums cat
Is in the utility room.
Is it recommend to have seperate litter trays?

I'm not sure actually we never did but one of them rarely used it anyway she preferred too out to do her business in the garden and so only used it overnight if se was stuck. it would probably be a good idea though

Yeah I would say an extra litter tray can never be a bad idea. Some people say that in houses with multiple cats there should be one per cat plus one extra. Although I have 3 cats, 2 litter boxes and they mainly use one, the other hardly gets used lol. When I brought the kittens home Lucy (3yrs) was shit-scared of them and would avoid them, run away and hide, hiss if they came too close. But she got used to them fairly quickly and they're all pals now :) Having places she could go to escape them definitely helped, and by the time they got big enough to reach her high-up hiding spots she was friends with them

I don't want my mums cat put out as she was technically bought for me many years ago but she and my mum are two leas in a pod. I just hope they both get on. Xx

Any advice on getting them integrated?

Try getting a feliway thing

https://m.feliway.com/uk/

Plus the website might have some tips!
I used to work at a vets and we always had one plugged for the cats in the back area :)

Definitely get separate litter trays. Cats are funny when it comes to doing their business. Theyre very private and don't like to share litter trays. If they think they have to share they will just do it in a corner somewhere and refuse to use the litter tray.

I have heard that female cats accept other female cats better than a new male coming in. Female cats generally object to a new boy coming into their space. Boy cats are usually much more accepting of new cats coming in to their home than female cats are but either way the original cats nose will be pushed out of joint for a while until she gets used to the new one.

I would just keep everything separate, food, water and litter tray and let them have their own space and come to terms with each other in their own time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->