Cat and baby in the same household?

MartinaLynn

(WTT) for Baby #1
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I have an issue to deal with that I’d like to share and get any opinions. I adopted a 3 year old cat from the Humane Society 3 weeks ago (to help control my broodiness!) It’s definitely helping with the broodiness, but my problem is that the cat, (DH and I named her Squeaks) seems to be very clingy, following us around the house and meowing constantly waiting for us to give her attention. We’ve been playing with her every night after work as much as we can, and her clinginess hasn’t gotten any better. We’ve tried to ignore her when she is meowing at us, and play with her when she is being quiet. I am starting to get attached to her, (especially when she sits in my lap and I can pretend she’s my little baby!!). But the moewing and following me around is getting a little annoying. She came from a house with several other cats before we got her at the Humane Society. She’s an only cat at our house, and we didn’t really want more than one because our house isn’t the biggest and we don’t want it to end up smelling like cats. I’m thinking she is just such a social cat and maybe needs other cats to keep her company while we are gone. I hope I’m not coming off as selfish, but the last couple days I’ve been thinking about bringing her back to the Humane Society so she could possibly find another home that does have other pets so she can get the interaction she needs.

Then I was thinking, if we did keep her, what would happen when we do have a baby? How could I possibly give her this much attention and while caring for a baby at the same time? And then I’ve heard of people saying you shouldn’t have cats and babies together unless you watch them very closely together. And If I kept the cat and something happened to my baby in the future because of the cat, I would hate myself for keeping the cat. Anyone here have kids/babies already and have cats in the household? I feel selfish for even considering taking her back to the Humane Society, but I just don’t know if she fits in our household, and if it will get worse when we have a baby (not for 3 years). Ahh, I had no idea this would happen like this.

I think that most people who say you shouldn't have cats and kids are subconciously thinking of all those stupid old wives' tales about cats "stealing infant's breath/milk/soul" etc. It's stupid xD

Of course you should never leave your cat and your baby unattended. But then, you shouldn't leave baby unattended with any animal, so... Dogs can do more damage than cats, even though cats are more able to get into the cot. You can buy cat screens, I believe, to keep the cats out of the cot.

Also, whilst you're pregnant and the baby's young, you'd need to be careful about toxoplasmosis. If you've got indoor cats it's not much of a problem, elsewise just get your OH to empty the litter trays for you and offer to do nappy-duty in return!! :winkwink:

As to your kitty's clingyness, I know it sounds silly but she may well have abandonment issues. Once she realises she's not going anywhere she should calm down, though I accept that this is stupidly annoying in the mean time! My boy cat is the same whenever I go home from Uni; he follows me around non-stop until he's happy I'm staying, and then starts ignoring me when I pack to come back :cry:

If she's used to the company of other cats, she may well be lonely, especially when you're not in the house. She's perfectly capable of getting used to it though, you just need to get her something to amuse herself with whilst you're out. Ping-pong balls are great, and I'm a big fan of cat trees too but they can be pricey :dohh:

Please try not to give her up if you can help it :( I know it's not my place and I really hope you don't think I'm trying to boss you about, but I used to volunteer at a cat shelter and some of the cats were in, out the next week and back in a month or so, it was heartbreaking :cry:

The only thing i've heard is a problem is soiled kitty litter when you're pregnant, but then you get your OH to clean it instead of you!!

My mom had two cats when i was small and neither me or my brother had any problems, i think it's just the worryworts worrying ^^.

Also my cats are clingy too, constantly mewing and trying to trip me and OH up!

Honestly people who say you shouldn't have babies and cats together, I think they mean alone, but that is just common sense since no animal should be left alone with a baby. (Also don't go cleaning cat litter since it has something in it harmful to pregnant women/newborns)

I have 2 dogs and a cat and I worry about the same thing, my cat and my eldest dog are fine to keep to themselves, but my puppy is very clingy.. (I can't even go to the bathroom by myself and my eldest dog likes to jump in the bath with me when I'm not looking!)

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it now. I think about all the things that could/couldn't happen and I find myself getting upset.. we only live in a small home and its organised chaos! I just think well I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Your cat will grow out of its clingyness, it could be many things but once it gets settled and grows a little I think it will learn to enjoy its own company. Cats are sociable creatures but they learn to cope eventually!

:cloud9: Just enjoy the time you have with your kitty and keep an open mind. I know its hard to think well 'what if' but sometimes its better to just go with the flow!

Me and OH looked after SILs cat, she was like that, really clingy and meowing all the time. I got so annoyed by it. But me and OH are getting our own kitten in December :) i'll probably treat it like my baby too lol

I think it depends on the temperament of the cat. We have the loveliest cat ever (who is also from a rescue place) who is independent but friendly, and we have had him since before my sister (who is 5) was born. He is fantastic with her and sits whilst she pulls his tail, dresses him up, carries him around etc. He has never once scratched her. So I think the cats and babies thing is nonsense, it's only really an issue if the cat is quite vicious..

We have a rescue cat and for the first few months she was really really clingy - it was because she has been through alot of upheval and was scared that we were going to leave her (she is absolutely fine now!)

I think with any rescue animal it will take quite a few months for them to settle down.

Also on toxoplasmosis - like other people have said it is not an issue if the kitty does not go outside (neither of ours do because we live near a busy road) and if you are not sure of your cats history I know that my vet said we could get them blood tested (though obviously once you had it confirmed they did not have it they would not be able to go outside) Otherwise it is just a case of avoiding litter tray duty!

We also adopted a cat this year (sorry to crash from first tri...) and he is VERY clingy, he gets as close to my face as possible, sits on my chest etc etc... He meows to himself, bangs our bedroom door and meows when he knows we're awake...But he can also take his playing OTT too, we end up covered in scratches and bite marks. I'm going to try using Soft Paws (claw caps for that) but the thing we've been using to calm him down a lot (makes him happier to sit on his own for longer too, etc) is a calming collar. PetSmart does a collar that has lavender and chamomile etc in it as well as pheromones that mimic those that a mother cat releases...It just generally calms him down and makes him a much more manageable cat.

We've used two collars so far and he's been without one for a few weeks now because he settled down enough not to need it.

Perhaps something to try as a vet suggested that his behaviour was due to anxiety - it really helped a lot.

xx

We also adopted a cat this year (sorry to crash from first tri...) and he is VERY clingy, he gets as close to my face as possible, sits on my chest etc etc... He meows to himself, bangs our bedroom door and meows when he knows we're awake...But he can also take his playing OTT too, we end up covered in scratches and bite marks. I'm going to try using Soft Paws (claw caps for that) but the thing we've been using to calm him down a lot (makes him happier to sit on his own for longer too, etc) is a calming collar. PetSmart does a collar that has lavender and chamomile etc in it as well as pheromones that mimic those that a mother cat releases...It just generally calms him down and makes him a much more manageable cat.

We've used two collars so far and he's been without one for a few weeks now because he settled down enough not to need it.

Perhaps something to try as a vet suggested that his behaviour was due to anxiety - it really helped a lot.

xx

Oh - that has just reminded me - you can buy a plug in diffuser called Feliway that releases calming hormones! I think for it to be most effective it takes a couple of months to build up - but that could help him settle.

^ We read mixed reviews on that. I think it's a lot more expensive too... There are lots of options out there though!! :)

xx

Hope you don't mind me butting in from 3rd trimester. I've got 2 cats that we got from a resuce centre about 18 months ago. It took them a long time to settle and trust that we were coming back if we went out and to be less clingy - at least 3 months. I think your cat probably needs longer to settle and also to accept that she's the only cat now. Lots of toys would probably help too.

as for cats and babies, don't take her back for that reason - you shouldn't leave any pet and babies alone together but I don't think cats are particularly worse for babies than dogs for example. We've bought a cat net for the cot and I've got a flexible baby gate for the nursery door to try and keep them out but really I'm just going to have to make sure my 2 are ok with the baby when it comes.

I grew up with between 3 and 6 cats and would really recommend children growing up with pets where possible - it teaches them so much about looking after something other than themselves and its good for building up their immune systems.

Hi there, I just noticed you thread.
Im a veterinary nurse and I now work at the re-homing cattery at the RSPCA as a supervisor/nurse.
When re-homing a new cat it takes a good few months to settle into a rountine and become relaxed. For a start we don't know their history so it could be she's just clingy at the moment till she gets used to her new environment and you.
It's much better having a clingy cat than a nervous one, they are likely to come round quicker and be more confident in the long run, she sounds like a wonderful pet, i dont see where the problem is if im honest.
I have 2 cats, one is happy just to lie there asleep all day the other is the opposite and follows me around like a lost sheep, i swear she thinks she's a dog!! But I find it so touching that she feels that close to me as she doesn't do it with my hubby!! lol!
Try some stimulation, like a plastic treat toy where u can roll it and the treats fal out and scratching/climbing posts etc... try to get her to entertain herself as well as with you.
Also, I saw the other post about Feliway, yes, you can get a diffuser which you plug in or a spray (diffuser is best) which releases feramones which is what they produce int heir glands to give on positive feelings (sounds weird but works a treat) this should keep her calm and happy.
It sounds like she will settle in well, yes she would probably be ideal with another cat but if you feel you cant cope with 2 then fairenough, although I find it easier with two as they entertain, play and sleep together - really sweet, plus company when were away for wk ends.
Anyways, I have had cats round me all my life and so have most of the ppl I know, I dont see them being a problem with a baby as long as you dont leave them along when baby is crawling so baby doesnt pull her tail etc! and yeah just dont let her in the nursery as she might like to sleep in the cot!
Toxoplasmosis is only a problem if your changing the litter of faeces without wearing gloves, its very hard to catch but if you get any faeces on you, just wash hands immediately.
As long as you double glove and wash hands after - you'll be fine.
Sorry didnt mean this to sound like a lecture - just wanted to offer some advise!
It's one of my pet hates when ppl get rid of their animals when they have kids, I think if the animal is trustworthy and placid its Completely Unessesary! I see it all the time working at the RSPCA and it makes me mad! (not that im saying you making me mad, your not, you just want some advise which is great, rather than just handing the cat back!)
Please dont give up on her - she sounds like a wonderful pet! xx

I'm really happy someone asked this question. I would like a cat, but a couple of things are holding me back, the first was the question you just asked, the second is I might have to bput extra deposit down on my flat as in rental. Decision still hasn't been made but really good to know that it would be safe enough if I ever decide to go ahead and get one!

my cat is not the most sociable and she has been fine so far... the only worry for me is its been quite stressful on the cat with a new addition to the family.. Lately Euan has been crying alot as he is teething and she is folowing us around miaowing getting upset. The trauma has been for her its a shame.

It should be fine, they just need closely watched. and dont clean the cat litter when your pregnant... thats brilliant and OH still doing it now yay

I think it depends on the temperament of the cat. We have the loveliest cat ever (who is also from a rescue place) who is independent but friendly, and we have had him since before my sister (who is 5) was born. He is fantastic with her and sits whilst she pulls his tail, dresses him up, carries him around etc. He has never once scratched her. So I think the cats and babies thing is nonsense, it's only really an issue if the cat is quite vicious..

I had the same experience with my kitty, who we got as a kitten while my sister was 8 months pregnant with my niece who is now almost 8 years old. When she was a kitten she slept on my sister's pregnant belly. She will let my niece pull her tail and everything. I say keep the nails clipped, so no sharp edges, because without intending to a cat can swipe and scratch. The litter is definitely a toxic issue, and should be something to worry a little about. We used to close the door to the room my niece slept in as a little one, and kept a monitor in there for when she woke up. No kitties in the crib. If we were in the room with her, or if we were on the couch with the cat, she would sleep on the other side of the crib from the baby. Kinda like a little sphinx. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->