Cat keeps weeing

Miss_Bump

Reaction score
Sorry this is off topic but I don't know what to do.
We have 2 8month old cats who have both been neutered and are generally good cats.

Harry the boy used to piddle on the carpet when we was a young kitten but we managed to get him to stop.

They both havnt used a litter tray for months and go in the garden.

This morning harry wee'd again and I'm hoping it's just a 1 off due to the weather.

I've cleaned the area and put pepper and tin foil down to stop him going back there.

Can you suggest anything else I can do?
xx

Is it very cold and snowy where you are?
You might find that the cats just don;t want to go outside! even with the litter trays they can get confused and more likely grumpy and so show their disdain to you!

where you have cleaned it up, make sure you don't use anything which has amonia in it, it'll make the cats go in the same spot.
Also be sure the litter trays are extra clean... cleaner than normal when the weather is bad!

Take him straight to the vets! My neutured male cat was doing this to and it was a blocked bladder cue £700 for an operation and almost losing him! It took 24 hours from him peeing in different places to him almost dying so its very serious!

If its unusual for your cat to wee in different places it could be a bladder blockage. We thought our cat was just being naughty but apparantly they pee in different places because the pain of peeing is so bad that they associate that pain with the litter tray/outside.

Its the biggest killer of young neutered male cats. The vet will have a feel of his bladder and they can tell you straight away if its blocked or too full.

I didn't know about this bladder blockage problem before my cat had it and I don't want anyone else to nearly lose their cats :)

If its not a medical problem then you can go down the behavior routes
xxx

My cat refuses to go out due to the weather so I dump her out every few hours and make sure she wnaders off for a bit and when she comes back she can snuggle up on the rad pipes again - she hisses at me but its for her own good.

Thanks for the replies the vet checked him a few months ago and put down to a behaviour problem.

I've seen him pee in the garden today so I think he is being lazy
xx

I wouldnt want to wee out there either its so darn coooold!!! :D

:haha:

When this was happening before we got some Feliway (sp?) from the vet as its meant to make them not want to wee where its sprayed.... dont really know how it works but it seemed to do the trick so maybe ill pop to the vets and pick up some more!
xx

I would just make sure your OH is very careful about cleaning the litterbox. I notice my kitties have been using the box a lot more recently. How many kitties do you have? I think at the very least you have to have one litter box per cat plus one. i actually have two cats and two litterboxes and that seems to work for us.

Feliway plug-in is great but it takes about a month to take effect.

Good luck hon!

Thanks for the replies the vet checked him a few months ago and put down to a behaviour problem.

xx

It can come on quickly, if he starts being a bit off and lethargic I'd get it checked out again. Or if he looks like he's really straining for a wee.

If its super cold maybe put a litter tray back in the house just for winter? xxx

xx

It can come on quickly, if he starts being a bit off and lethargic I'd get it checked out again. Or if he looks like he's really straining for a wee.

If its super cold maybe put a litter tray back in the house just for winter? xxx

He seems totally fine healthwise for what i can see, eating and playing and being himself.

Is it a good idea to put the tray back down for him? We have a cat flap and took the tray away about 2 months ago.
I dont really want him thinking he has free reign to the litter tray again and when we take it away he wee's in the house more if you see what i mean :shrug:

xx

My kitties usually go out, but I have a litter tray as a back up. They dont get overly used to it though, I think they only use it if they are really desperate and its too cold out!

I barely see them going out of the door at the mo, (cant say I blame them!) but when I'm at work the tray is hardly ever used, so they must just run out, do their business and run back in lol!

I dont think I'd worry about them getting too used to it.

Things I would try are
- Take him to the vet to check for a uti
- Use feliway to see if that helps - he may be a touch stressed due to your pregnancy (cats are very intuitive and this helps calm them)
- Use vinegar over the area once you have cleaned it - preferably with biological washing powder to break down the ammonia. They hate the smell so it acts as a deterrent

generally it does indicate some kind of a problem - my cat started doing it and apparently her tooth was bothering her, they removed her tooth and she is back to her litter box. BUT in your case it's just too darn cold outside :) Put a litter box somewhere private and show her where it is :)

I would just make sure your OH is very careful about cleaning the litterbox. I notice my kitties have been using the box a lot more recently. How many kitties do you have? I think at the very least you have to have one litter box per cat plus one. i actually have two cats and two litterboxes and that seems to work for us.

Good luck hon!

lol we have 7 cats, if i had a litter tray for each cat we would be forever tripping over them lol. we have one big tray that i clean out when ever i see it has been used x

we started using soil instead of cat litter for our cats, they seemed to use it much more then and they also started to go in the garden more and more now they only use the litter tray when its raining outside :)

Hi, male cats spraying or urinating in the house is often down to behavioural (if vet has ruled out any medical problem) and the behaviour is caused do to a change, even a new piece of furniture can trigger them off!!

the feliway plug is very good and alot more economical. i would recommend that first, then if no luck to chat to vet nurse at your local practice.

I am a vet nurse and we are usually only to happy to offer lots of ideas and suggestions to try, but hopefully the cheeky monkey just doesnt like snow on his paws!

good luck hun x

Good luck hon!

lol we have 7 cats, if i had a litter tray for each cat we would be forever tripping over them lol. we have one big tray that i clean out when ever i see it has been used x

:laugh2:

That sounds good too!

Thanks for all the replies im guessing it could be due to the xmas tree going up altho that went up about a week ago but ho hum this could be the problem.
I watched him wee in the garden this morning and he didnt seem to have any problem going, he wasnt squatting in a weird way and wasnt there for ages wee'ing, just a quick dig, squat, sniff and dig again then he ran back indoors :hugs:

Went to the verts and got some more Feliway spray that ive sprayed around where he pee'd and ive given the carpet and the under-lay a good scrub so hopefully he cant smell his scent anymore.

Thanks again for all the replies and hopefull he will be ok and tbh, i wouldnt want to squat in the snow to do my business :haha:

xx

I was just given a cat to live at my store. (needed company because it gets lonely there) The woman neglected to tell me that she has issues and now I'm dealing with her pooing and peeing on whatever she feels like!! I'm so annoyed with it! She actually pooed ON HER FOOD!!! I have never seen a cat so such a thing before. She had a clean litterbox and has used it before so I have no idea why she's deciding to go everywhere else. And I really really don't get why she would poo on her food. It was even the good stuff instead of the cheap stuff! I'm tempted to leave it like that when she does it for the rest of the day so she learns that if she poos on it, she's going to go hungry for the day!

my aunties cat, who always went outside for the loo, taken to pee-ing in my little cousins room constantly, it was a shame he was so upset because she kept on doing it, they tried everything inc pepper. they eventually had to get a lock for the door to top the cat getting into his room, she is now back t weeing outside! no other ideas though sorry hun

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->