Cat rehoming question

kmumtobe

Mummy to 2
Reaction score
What's the chances of a 9 year old cat with a bad temper finding a lovely new home?

She's my mums cat, my mum has Alzheimer's.. Her cat was her world, she fed the cat before herself, they were inseparable and the cat really seemed to 'look after her' and be protective of her whereas to anyone else the cat has a bit of a temper, she likes to swipe people and hiss if they get too close, she's not really a lap cat only was to my mum, she likes to be out and about. She was my cat originally, we got her from the blue cross when she was a rather wild lively 1 year old cat. Still quite wild just slowed down a bit now!

My mums really at a point now where she doesn't acknowledge or appreciate anyone too close and seems that cat is included I never see the cat on her lap anymore or even close, mum couldn't tolerate it. She has full time live in carers and it's part of their job to look after the cat and I have no doubts she is looked after but it's also becoming evident she's not always fun to look after, she wakes them up meowing at 6 every morning for food and has swiped at them and recently my mum, she also got my son today which is really what's made me think more about actioning what I've been pondering for a while.. I dont think she's best suited being there anymore for her or mum and her carers. But would anyone take her? I don't want her to spend the rest of her life in a rehoming centre or whatever it's not her fault and the thought of them just putting her to sleep brings me to tears. Her days there are limited anyway because my mums are, we don't know timescales but one day it will be necessity to do something anyway which makes me think if someone's likely to take her on now younger then it's a better decision. I just don't know! I can't bring myself to ring up cos I don't want them to say what I don't want to hear! Any advice? Thanks

It may be kinder to have the cat put down. Rehoming her may be stressful for her, and it'd be difficult to do in the first place if you're honest about her temper, and if you're not she may find a new home and then be given away again due to her attributes. It's not cruel to have her put to sleep I don't think. She won't be in pain and won't be aware of it, and living without being loved or in a strange place isn't fair to her.

I'd ring a rescue centre and ask. We recently adopted a cat and we decided not to get a kitten because everybody wants kittens so the older cats get left. We just asked the rescue centre which cat most needed a home (although obviously it had to be a cat who'd be happy with kids around), they told us which they'd like to see re-homed and we took her. You might find somebody would do that but not have kids and not be particularly bothered about having a lap cat. The rescue centre we got our cat from (a small local place) regularly asks for people to foster/re-home cats on Facebook and previous 'customers' will take on another cat or know somebody who will.

Perhaps take the cat to the vet and get her checked over. There may be something bothering her - sore teeth perhaps, or maybe she's stressed? The vet might be able to tell you if she's too bad-tempered to be re-homed. I wouldn't get her put down without looking into other options first.

What a difficult situation for you.:flower:

As a child, we got a cat from a similar background. She was so grumpy, and took over an hour to get in the cat basket to take home.

Anyway, she got better in time. She only recently died a very old happy cat in her early 20s. Oldest cat I've known!

In the right care, I'm sure the cat would do well. She can probably sense the change in her enviroment , which is fueling bad behaviour. Do you know any older people who have plenty of spare time who may want her?

I'm sure someone would like to have her. X

Thanks for your input ladies, youre right Emy I had kinda overlooked the stress that even finding a nice new home for her would bring for her which makes it even more difficult a decision I guess, but I do also know just taking her to have her put down is out the question. Its hard enough having your mum dying I couldn't just take her somewhere to inflict the same on my cat, I just don't have it in me however they put it about falling asleep etc. Shes been a much loved family pet despite her 'just for show, don't touch' attitude!

She has her vets check and boosters every year shes fine, we just think maybe she was mistreated before we got her from the rescue centre initially and therefore shes a bit weary of handling. "As a child, we got a cat from a similar background. She was so grumpy, and took over an hour to get in the cat basket to take home" this made me laugh, last time I went to take her to the vets I turned up with thick gardening gloves for protection to catch her but she was actually fine! I guess short term she just stays where she is at least shes well looked after and its her home. I might pop by where I got her some time and speak to them about it as the chances are we will need to find other options in the nearish future, if they think its likely she would find somewhere else then I would consider doing it then and hope she adapts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->