Causes of Aspergers & Dyspraxia?

I am pretty sure its not down to any kind of brain damage from birth. I didnt have an instrumental delivery with Andrew and he has aspergers.

However looking at myself and my mother when we were little its pretty obvious we were aspies too.

If I take the autism test now I score higher than Andrew so I tend to think its more hereditary

I have high-functioning ASD as well, and I'm definitely inclined to think it's genetic as my mom's entire family seems to have varying levels of ASD-type symptoms all over the spectrum. My mom was 20 when she had me, straightforward pregnancy, long labour but problem-free birth, everything was fine. No illness or trauma as a kid, and if you look back, way back to when I was born, I was always a bit 'different' apparently. :shrug: I think, at the end of the day, it's just another way to 'be', but of course I'm biased because I find more positives than negatives from my autism. :)

My son is 21 and has aspergers and dyspraxia.
He was a difficult birth and starved of oxygen during birth, he also went into Anaphylaxis aged 2 and was starved of oxygen again.
He is in his third year at university where he is studying history and politics with a view to becoming a history teacher, he has worked towards this since the age of 8. He has just got his first serious girlfriend too.
My son is a beautiful bright and caring young man but I worried about his social awareness. At university he went into a deep depression as he doesn't drink alcohol or like parties, this is university life and he felt very lonely. I encouraged him to join activities I knew he would enjoy and he joined the student radio and student cinema and is now very active in both, even having his own radio show. He met his girlfriend at the cinema.
He knows what he is and he has told his girlfriend about how he can be, saying that if he ever upsets her there is a huge chance he never ever meant to, he told her it's not an excuse and I'm sure she won't let him use it as one, I'm just so very glad she cares for him as much as I do and understands like I do, I couldn't ask for better.

I just wanted to join and say this in the hope that it helps others.

My son is 21 and has aspergers and dyspraxia.
He was a difficult birth and starved of oxygen during birth, he also went into Anaphylaxis aged 2 and was starved of oxygen again.
He is in his third year at university where he is studying history and politics with a view to becoming a history teacher, he has worked towards this since the age of 8. He has just got his first serious girlfriend too.
My son is a beautiful bright and caring young man but I worried about his social awareness. At university he went into a deep depression as he doesn't drink alcohol or like parties, this is university life and he felt very lonely. I encouraged him to join activities I knew he would enjoy and he joined the student radio and student cinema and is now very active in both, even having his own radio show. He met his girlfriend at the cinema.
He knows what he is and he has told his girlfriend about how he can be, saying that if he ever upsets her there is a huge chance he never ever meant to, he told her it's not an excuse and I'm sure she won't let him use it as one, I'm just so very glad she cares for him as much as I do and understands like I do, I couldn't ask for better.

I just wanted to join and say this in the hope that it helps others.
:thumbup:

Dear birdiex

My son was born in 1997 with the assistance of forceps, and as I was trying to connect cerebellum damage and the use of forceps and then I came across your letter.

He currently suffers from dyspraxia, Aspergers syndrome and ADHD. And yes we all know Aspergers is not caused by foreceps but foreceps could cause brain injury so I would not rule out damage to your cerebellum.

Regards
Corlia

Genetic I believe although I think external influences `trigger` the onset. there are four Aspies in my family. My son however did have decelerations during his birth. He also had a severe reaction to the live Polio vaccine at 8 weeks. He has Aspergers and ADHD I also think Dyspraxia although not diagnosed. My three year old is almost definitely on the brink. He has lots of traits of Autism although not Autistic I believe. Maybe just mannerisms picked up from his older brother..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->