CB Digital OPK experiment. Not reusable.

babyplease22

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is long and I’m sorry but this morning I did a little experiment with my Clear Blue Digital Opks and thought you might all be very interested in the result. I have been scouring the internet trying to find answers about whether or not the testing device is reusable for your next cycle. Some people say flat out no because it tries to continue measuring your hormones from the month before. Other people say yes as long as you give it enough time to reset (about 2 weeks) and I’ve even seen some people say yes but only with the sticks in the box it came with.

Well 2 days ago after getting a line (not positive) on my IC opk I decided I would bust out the 3 sticks I have left from my previous cycle and see what the digital said. When I inserted the stick it came up with the new cycle symbol like it did when I first used it so I was full of hope. The test said low fertility so I thought no biggy, it just mustn’t be my time. The next day after seeing another line on an opk (previous had all been stark white) I used the same sample to try the digi again with another negative response. I thought this was kinda weird as I should definitely be in my fertile window by now.

I went out and bought a new pack of digis to see what was up. I did one yesterday afternoon that was negative but that was to be expected as the device is getting a feel for where I am in my cycle. From my understanding the first day is always negative. Either that or the old device was right and it was indeed not my time!

So this morning I used the new device again with FMU as instructions tell you to do, saving my sample in the event I got a high fertility which I did. That little face flashed away and me while I pulled out the old device and used my last stick from the pack to test it. Low and behold according to the old device I have low fertility today. As you can see in the pictures below (hairband is the new one) the new device showed high fertility while the old one said none. I am assuming this is due to the fact that the old device, regardless of waiting a few weeks is still trying to get a higher reading than my peak from last month.

I know they say not to bother looking at the sticks from digitals but as you can see the sticks are almost identical which proves that the same amount of hormones was detected in both sticks and it was the device reader it’s self that decided to give different results.

So in conclusion everyone I just wanted to say that it appears to me that Clearblue Digital Opks are NOT reusable regardless of how long you wait in between. I’m SO glad I felt strange enough to buy a new one so I didn’t miss my fertile days. I hope this helps some people that have been having the same questions. :thumbup:

(The smiley is flashing but obviously couldn’t capture that in a picture! Please ignore my make-up covered counter!)

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=983451&stc=1&d=1484965647

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=983453&stc=1&d=1484965701

Attachments

• Use 1.jpg
    Use 1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 49
  • sticks.jpg
    sticks.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 49
Interesting, thanks :)
I used the cbd for the first time this cycle and just had flashing smileys the whole time so not sure I'll try again. It's definitely a major pain having to buy the whole kit every month!

Interesting, thanks :)
I used the cbd for the first time this cycle and just had flashing smileys the whole time so not sure I'll try again. It's definitely a major pain having to buy the whole kit every month!

Yeah definitely! I looked in to getting the Clear Blue Advanced Fertility Monitor because it's reusable and you can buy stick refills for it etc but it's like $200 and I'm only on my second cycle so honestly it would seem like such a waste of money if I was to get pregnant straight away. But then I think well I could use it for any other pregnancies I plan on having and also it won't take many cycles for me to spend that $200 or more on a new box of digital opks, especially now that I know I can't reuse them so I'm thinking about it again haha.

That sucks you got only flashing smileys! I was worried that was happening to me but I got 5 days of flashing before a solid. If I were you I would probably give them one more go now that you know which cycle day you got your first smiley last month. BUT that's just me, I have no idea how regular your cycles are or what your budget is etc. Good luck if you do try them again! :)

Well only the first day was an empty circle then it went straight to flashing smileys, so I had 9 days of flashing smileys. I have regular cycles and ewcm and pain around when I think I'm ovulating, but I'm bf my 14mo so who knows if that's affecting things :) I feel like opks don't really work for me, as I used them when I conceived my son and never got anything close to a pos opk then either. So who knows?

I have read you can use the fertility monitor refill sticks in the cbd but yeah if it hangs onto memory of the last month and won't show more surges no point really. Is there any place in Aust that even sells that fertility monitor? $200 is a lot of money, you're right, and hopefully you'll be pg soon anyway!

Well only the first day was an empty circle then it went straight to flashing smileys, so I had 9 days of flashing smileys. I have regular cycles and ewcm and pain around when I think I'm ovulating, but I'm bf my 14mo so who knows if that's affecting things :) I feel like opks don't really work for me, as I used them when I conceived my son and never got anything close to a pos opk then either. So who knows?

I have read you can use the fertility monitor refill sticks in the cbd but yeah if it hangs onto memory of the last month and won't show more surges no point really. Is there any place in Aust that even sells that fertility monitor? $200 is a lot of money, you're right, and hopefully you'll be pg soon anyway!

I suppose you can at least look at it in a positive light even if OPKs don't work for you by telling yourself at least you know you can get pregnant and have in the past without the positive reading! I personally have no idea how bf would affect or not affect things when ttc as this is my first.

Yes I've read that too! I considered ordering some to try but glad I didn't seeing as I know now I can't reuse this one. I was looking at the advanced fertility monitors on Ebay because I have no idea where to look for one in shops here in Aus. Thank you, fingers crossed that both of us get huge bfps soon and don't end up needing them anyway!

I used CBD opk as well. I got three days of of low and then it went to flashing smiley and I never got a solid smiley but I actually ended up pregnant that cycle. So not sure if it was a coincidence or not. But I'm currently 15 w and 5 days pregnant.

I used CBD opk as well. I got three days of of low and then it went to flashing smiley and I never got a solid smiley but I actually ended up pregnant that cycle. So not sure if it was a coincidence or not. But I'm currently 15 w and 5 days pregnant.

That's awesome! I was just talking to someone on babycentre that was worried about not getting a peak reading so it's great to know people have gotten pregnant without one. Congratulations! I wish you a happy and healthy nine months! :happydance:

Congrats! I never got a solid smiley either, I'm hoping it just didn't pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->