CD 44, 21 DPO, BFN, Elevated BBTs going Triphasic?

MamaJen

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm hoping you'll take a look at my chart and share your thoughts on what might be going on.

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/47f28e

Here are the basics of what I'm experiencing:

- I'm on day 44 of my cycle (I have irregular cycles since an early miscarriage early this year).

- I'm currently 21 dpo.

- I had what I took to be implantation bleeding on 10-11 DPO.

- My BBT has remained elevated for well after 18 days (what I keep hearing signifies likely pregnancy).

- I'm getting BFNs, although on two prior days I got what looked like extremely faint BFPs (within 3 minutes of testing, or I would have assumed they were evap lines).

- I'm on my 1st Clomid cycle (50 mg).

- I'm on Metformin (1000 mg daily through most of the cycle, recently increased to 1500 mg daily).

- I privately ordered a progesterone test and had blood drawn for it 8 dpo (the earliest I could have it scheduled). It came back extremely low -- less than 1. I know that generally means you didn't ovulate. But my doctor seemed confident that I did based on the ovulation pain, positive OPK, and BBT rise all coinciding perfectly. My doc wouldn't order this test, but I suspected progesterone played a role in my miscarriage and a possible chemical this year, so I had it done myself. But I don't know how accurate it was -- not familiar with the lab, the day was slightly off-plan, and there's always a chance ovulation happened at a different time than I thought.

- To be safe, I started progesterone cream (Emerita Pro-gest) the day after ovulation. I know this can elevate temps, but I was told the cream wasn't strong enough to have much of an effect. My temperature shot up on its own though -- I didn't start the cream until the evening after the temperature elevated.

- The last three progesterone (P) mentions were suppositories my doctor finally prescribed. I stopped after two, figuring I'd try to let my period come. Then the next day I got two very faint lines that looked like positive results. So I went back on progesterone for a day to be safe. I stopped again the next day because I saw some more spotting and figured AF was coming.

- I woke up yesterday with bleeding between spotting and a light flow. But it only lasted for two trips to the bathroom. Then there was absolutely nothing again.

- My temperatures shot up again over the last few days, to my highest temps all month. I know progesterone can do that. But how long does it stay in your system? The two highest days were days that I didn't take progesterone suppositories on the evening before. (My last day on the progesterone, I took it in the morning, so a good 24 hours had passed.)

- Symptoms come and go, but the biggest have been nausea, dizziness, and extreme tiredness (I never nap, but recently I seem to take 1-2 naps a day at least a few times per week, and I sleep in much more or I feel miserable all day).

I'm getting extremely confused. On paper it seems to say I should be getting a solid BFP or AF by now. I don't personally believe I'm pregnant, as much as I'd like to be. My doctor went from being very optimistic to dismissing any chance. She thought I would have gotten my period about a week ago though. No high stress right now that could be affecting things. It's actually been less stressful for a few weeks around here. I'm not even confident I ovulated on the Clomid (and I'm not taking it because I have problems ovulating -- I generally ovulate just fine on my own -- she prescribed that plus metformin to help improve egg quality just as a precaution against another early miscarriage -- which did occur after high stress).

Has anyone had a cycle like this before? How did it turn out? Any thoughts on what might be going on with me this month?

Oh, and my doc won't give me a blood test. She was going to, but then insisted on a urine test in her office first. Since that came back negative, she won't do a blood test, and we really can't afford to be running any more private lab tests. She wants to wait until there's a dark positive urine test first or I get AF. While I disagree with her on this one, I don't want to change docs over it. I do really like her, and trust her.

I appreciate any insights!

My understanding is that progesterone raises your temperature and that would be the case whether it were progesterone you make yourself or progesterone you take. Its also possible to get an LH surge and not actually ovulate, usually your body tries again a few days later. If you've taken progesterone which has caused the increase in your temp, but haven't actually ovulated then that same progesterone would prevent a second LH surge and second attempt at ovulation.

That's the only scenario I can think of that would account for your raised temps and BFN's. Not sure how to account for the triphasic bit though.

Thanks. I had the same thought originally, but my temperature actually rose without being on progesterone initially. I started using the cream the evening after my bbt went up. My doc said it shouldn't have increased my progesterone levels all that much. I also expected my blood test to show higher levels if the progesterone cream was having an effect.

The only thing I can think of regarding the triphasic side of things is the prescribed progesterone which would have been stronger. But then I can't explain why my two highest temps happened when I went off of that.

I just can't believe how frustrating my body has gotten this year. I suspect my only option is to wait a few days longer and cross my fingers that AF starts so we can get trying again. I have the progesterone and 100 mg Clomid ready to go once that happens. It's the not knowing what's going on that sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->