• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Celiac Disease and miscarriage

tcinks

Reaction score
Anyone have this ? I have not been diagnosed but suspect I might have it. I never even heard of it until about a year or two ago and had no idea it could affect pregnancy until today.

Anyone have insight? Has anyone had pregnancy loss due to this ? Please share your story.

Thank you

It is unlikely that you have coaliac disease, as it is very rare, though you could have a gluten intolerance (which is also much rarer than people like to believe).

Did you have any/many blood tests done when you lost your little boy?

If you have Coeliac then there a likely hood you will have high nk cells due to the auto immune disease

I've been gluten free for 2 years and took steroids to dampen my nk cells

Xx

Okay ladies, thank you for your responses. I think you're right, that I likely don't have it. I've just been doing too much reading about all the different possible reasons for the loss. :( I had a ton of blood tests run and it was all normal.

It's so easy to diagnose all sorts of issues when you can't get an answer (or an acceptable one), I've had 101 blood tests which all came back normal, but my loss was definitely caused by an immune issue. It's probably worth getting your NK cells tested if possible (it isn't here, so we're treating as if my levels are out of whack!), these aren't necessarily looked at in the normal scheme of investigative testing - especially if your doctor is not a believer in immune issues.

Steroids are a good starting place though.

I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after my 4th mc. I had the blood test then an endoscopy done to confirm. The day before my endoscopy we met with our OB as some other tests that were done had come back. My hubby was diagnosed with a balanced translocation (broken chromosomes) and our OB said that this was most likely the primary cause of our mcs.

My OB explained that you can still go on to have a full term pregnancy as an undiagnosed Coeliac, it's just that there are side effects on your baby, low birth weight as they don't get enough nutrients.

We suspect that my grandmother (passed away 20yrs ago) was a Coeliac as no one else in our family has it. My grandmother had 11 mcs, and my mum and her 2 sisters were all alb babies. My grandmother passed away from bowel cancer which can be caused by undiagnosed Coeliac.

We went on to have another 4 mcs before doing IVF with PGD which we were lucky enough to get our son :)

I would suggest having the blood test as it's the simplest way to find out :)

Good luck xx

Coeliac disease isn't rare, it is quite common, most people just don't know they have it. Request a blood test from your doctor, and hopefully that will give you the answer.

Coeliac can cause miscarriage, due to the malabsorbtion caused by the damage to your intestines.

I was diagnosed with coeliac a year before I stated TTC, and was on a GF diet, and all went well.

Here in the UK coeliac is often tested for if you have repeat miscarriages or unexplained infertility, so there is a link. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->