Cell Free DNA testing

zmzerbe

Chance & Baby Z
Reaction score
Tests such as the MaterniT21, Panorama, Harmony, etc. They can tell you the gender. I understand that the percent of the test being wrong for gender is a very slim chance, but my question is, have any of you ladies had a test like this that the gender wasn't correct?

Such as been told it's a girl and then at the scan they ended up being a boy and vice versa?

Gender, sorry I guess I forgot to specify

I had one of those done and it said girl. I must say I am a little terrified that at my next scan they'll say it's a boy!! I've known for over a month that it's a girl and have a ton of stuff for her already so it would really be a shocker if they said it was wrong. I would like to believe that a dna test should be much more accurate than an ultrasound and human guessing but there's always room for error in everything!

I had the test done at 10+4 and they told me boy. It was confirmed yesterday at my anatomy scan. I have read about a few people being told the wrong gender and it was mostly for girls turning into boys. I understand the reasoning though - mom has xx so if they dont find xy ( which in some cases could be because of not enough dna material), they would say baby is girl but there would be no way mom would have xy unless she was carrying a boy. The margin of error is very low though.

It's very, very rare for it to be wrong. US have a much higher chance of being wrong for many reasons.
I'd accept whatever result I'd get, and I'm sorry if it wasn't what you hoped for.

I had the test done at 10+4 and they told me boy. It was confirmed yesterday at my anatomy scan. I have read about a few people being told the wrong gender and it was mostly for girls turning into boys. I understand the reasoning though - mom has xx so if they dont find xy ( which in some cases could be because of not enough dna material), they would say baby is girl but there would be no way mom would have xy unless she was carrying a boy. The margin of error is very low though.

In addition to this, I have heard that it could possibly say boy when it is a girl if you had recently given birth to a boy because some of his dna could be left over. Again, the chances are very low though. I had the Panorama done at 10+1 and was told boy. I had my NT scan at 12+3 and the radiologist said she was fairly certain it was a boy already, so so far, it checks out!

I also had the Panorama test back in 12 weeks and we were told baby was a boy... which was happily confirmed in my full anatomy scan yesterday!

However, in addition to what other people wrote above, based on my literature research back when I was choosing a cfDNA test they also cite a "vanishing twin" as a possible cause for gender mistakes. That's when pregnancy starts out with twins but for some reason one of the two gets re-absorbed really early on, before you get your first definitive ultrasounds. Keep in mind though, we are always talking about really rare cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->