Cervical Length

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I'm not officially in 3rd tri yet (1 more day till 27 weeks) But this is more like a 3rd tri question I think so i hope it's okay that I ask it here.

I went to a private clinic today just to reconfirm baby's gender as I only had one scan to determine it at 20 weeks.

Anyway the dr I saw is aware of my medical history. In my previous pregnancy i had a suspected amniotic fluid leak at 30 weeks. It was never proven. This dr is more cautious than my regular drs. She said baby is fully engaged but that my cervix was closed. However she mentioned it was measuring 2.5cm which was normal but on the edge of normal. She advised me not to exercise anymore.

Do you ladies think there's a reason for concern or is the dr just being overly cautious?

Did she measure using a tranvaginal ultrasound? Transabdominal ultrasounds are not accurate for cervical measurement. 2.5 is borderline low according to my high risk OB. Mine measured 2.3 cm at just 17 weeks when she started me on vag progesterone and restricted activity. So far everythings going good for me. Been holding steady at about 3.5 cm since. At 2.5 cm i would think she would at least want to monitor your length every 1-2 weeks. Take her advice and put your feet up in the meantime.

Everything she ^^ said, the abdo vs TV makes a big difference. Had your cervix been measured previously? If it was a TVS and you had previously measured longer, bring it up with your regular doctor.

Also, according to my MFM they stop measuring at 28 weeks as it is no longer an accurate indicator of preterm labour.

I would be cautious but I also wouldn't worry about it too much unless you had previously measured longer, have consistent cramping/contractions or see any blood. :hugs:

thanks ladies.

it was an abdominal scan on a full bladder. I had a full bladder on my anomaly scan as well and it measured 3.5cm

I just wondered if it was normal for the cervix to shorten as the pregnancy progresses. but since she only took the measurement abdominally it isn't accurate anyway I guess?

Here is a great resource: https://www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx

I hope it helps!

:flower:

Thank you.

Basically from the resources I've read it seems like there isn't a major reason for concern as it wasn't even a transvaginal ultrasound. I'll probably avoid using the treadmill as a precaution but won't limit other activities. I really believe the dr is way more cautious than necessary. Will see what my regular dr thinks when I see her in early Feb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->