Chance of me being 'allowed' a water birth after previous EMCS

Sorry for the delay in getting abk to you ladies, but just to update you all. Had appt with consultant and she was not keen to discuss the birth at all (I was there for scan being main reason). Basically said if this baby is not breach she would be happy to try viginal birth, but did not want to go in to detail of what she meant by that. When I said I would not be constantly monitored and wanted a 'natural birth' she said we will talk about that at nxt appt (36 weeks) if baby is not breach.

So 2 days later I had 28 week bloods with my MW at birth centre. SHe asked how things went with cons and I explained how she wasnt happy to talk through birth options etc. MW said that she sees no reason y I couldnt birth with them in the pool (birth centre is at seperate hospital to consultant) or even at home if I wanted. She has referred me to head of midwifery who will need to go through it all with me, but she said they have lots of ladies who have had 1 previous section. My consultant will also need to be consultat, and will most prob not agree, but it is up to me if I want to go against her advice.

So fxd she is head down at 36 weeks and head of midwifery agrees to me going to birth centre

It is likely that they will want you in the consultant led unit, constantly monitored, cannula in and possibly an epidural "just in case".:shrug:

However, if you don't want any of that then you are perfectly within your rights to refuse it all.

I have had 2 previous emcs and have been told by a midwife at the hospital that I will be having an elective section as "they won't let me do it any other way!" Err excuse me, whos having this baby, me or the consultant?!:nope:

I see my consultant on 16th March and I will be informing them of my intention to have a home water birth.

Don't feel pressured into anything you don't want to do. It's your baby and you can birth how you want.:hugs:

That is policy in the UK but you can say no to all of the stuff you dont want.

Unfortunately the only way to guarantee a pool is to homebirth (perfectly safe), even for some one not VBACing getting a pool can be a challenge in a hospital.

Check out the VBAC support thread in my signature hun.

I planned an HBAC...best decision I EVER made. I did go into hospital at the very end of labour (10cm ready to push) as we had some blood loss concerns but no fiss go t my VBAC on Gas and Air only. No way i would have got that far in hospital being prodded and poked and annoyed!

Just to add hann....are you seeing a MW at all?

If you are you dont HVE to go and see the consultant at all if your pregnancy is uncomplicated then dont go back, they dont sound supportive in the slightest. If you need a consultant then insist you get one that is supportive and will listen to you.

Speak with the head of midwifery in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->