Changes to Child Benefit

We're a family that will lose CB next year. I'm a SAHM and Ian pays 40% tax. I have no issues with CB being removed for us, yes it is nice to have and at the moment comes in very handy, but do we NEED it? Honestly? No. We'd get by without it. I do have issues however, with the unfairness of the current plan. It should be based on household income. If they said any household income above £30k/£40k/£50k etc would not recieve it... we'd STILL be fine with losing the benefit... and happier that it was a fair removal and not that our neighbours earning £70k... £35k each might still be gettign CB despite beign far better off.

So to conclude - I absolutely agree with removing it from those with higher incomes... just make it fair for all of those on higher incomes by basing it on total household income rather than on disproportionate wage.

xx

I know we couldn't get by without DH's working tax credits and child tax credits/family allowance, but child benefit for us is like £20 a month. We could do without :thumbup:

It is £20 a week for the 1st child.

As Kitty has said, I would accept us losing it IF it was based on household income. At the moment it is not and a family with a household income of £80k could get it while we couldn't as my DH as the only wage earner pays 40% tax.

Are you sure you're not confusing tax credits with child benefit love?

At the moment CB is a universal "non means tested benefit" at a set level. £20 and pennies PER WEEK for the first child and slightly less for any subsequent children. If you're def not confusing the 2 benefits then they might have messed up your claim love xxx

No you will be getting £20 a week. It is a universal, non- means tested benefit so everyone gets the same amount. Best to check incase there has been a mistake but everyone gets the same.

See it doesn't seem like a lot but atm we're getting £130 a month and in March this will go up to £188, that's actually a significant amount for us to lose. Once I give up work the CB will be the only money I get that doesn't come from my OH, luckily I trust him but there are men out there that will have complete control over the money. That's why I object to anyone losing it - I think it should remain a universal benefit. But if it's going to change it should change in a fair way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->