Changing over to aptamil follow on?

MissR

R+R+J+Dot
Reaction score
Hi, my LO is just over 6 months old and is on aptamil first milk.... i was just thinking about changing her to follow on milk but am not sure if i should wait. She is guzzling her bottles every 2 hours, is having one meal a day and still seems hungry. So this is why im thinking of changing her to follow on.... however she has had bad constipation for 3 months and im worried that changing her milk now wont help the situation! Any one have any advice or experiences of there own? Xx

Sorry cant help but stalking this as I was wondering the same. My little girls on hungry baby and is having 7oz regularly!

We use Aptamil and I was told to use it for the first year? :shrug:

My HV told us there was no need to switch to follow on milk.

Basically there are a few differences between first and follow on. Firstly, follow on is casien dominant and first milk is whey dominant. These are the types of milk protein; whey is meant to be easier and quicker to digest whilst casein takes longer. In theory this means a casein dominant milk should fill a baby up for longer. Secondly, follow on assumes some nutrients will come from food so has a slightly different balance of nutrients. For example it has half the amount of DHA as first milk but twice the iron amongst others. In your situation I would probably stick with first milk as the extra iron and casein might make the constipation worse.
I just stayed with first milk with my son and am still using it for my daughter. I like the extra DHA in first milk so will probably stay with it to 1 year.

I put this on another thread as well but the NHS website states this " ‘Follow-on’ formula is not suitable for babies under six months, you don’t need to introduce it after six months either" More nutrients in first milk :)

Your baby is at weaning age. If your baby is getting enough nutriance from food. why switch your babys milk? it has more suger in which means babys are less likely to want to switch to cows milk.
and first milk has everything they need.
my daughter is 9 months old and is still on first milk and she will stay on first milk till we swap to cows milk. maybe look at the food she is eating. what is the one meal a day consisting of etc maybe she needs another meal. xx

Thanks everyone, I decided to keep her on first milk as her bm's finally seem to be normal and don't want to mess with that! Youngwife20 she usually has some porridge or fruit in the morning but now I've upped her to having some fruit or veg in the evening too and she seems to be doing fine with that xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->