Changing schools

ellahopesky

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just after abit of advice/insight!

We've recently moved house, its around 5/6 miles away from DD's school. Its a real struggle to get her to school now, i do drive but I'm currently without a car and theres NO public transport from here to anywhere even close to her school. DD is 6 and currently in year 1 at school. I also have a 3 year old, a 2 year old and a baby on the way to think of.

So, I applied to change DD's infant school to the one close to our new house. This new school is the only infant school within our new catchment area so it really is our only (practical/realistic) option. We've already changed our 3 year olds pre-school to the local one and its impossible for me to be in 2 places at once.

I received a phone call from the new school today informing me that they have no places available for a year 1 entry before september, and that its not looking likely they'll have anything from september onwards either for year 2. They've placed me on the waiting list, but where do i stand? I can't physically be in 2 places at once and now can't actually get DD to her current school! Baby is due early september so even if i did have a car, i couldn't fit them all in and its a long journey to make 4 times a day with other little ones in tow. Its too far to walk and i can't afford taxi fares everyday! What can i do?!

any help or advice/knowledge would be great!:flower:

that happened to us but we found a school in the end but there are loads of schools near us there is a number you can ring but i cant remember a local authority phone number i think ask the school for it and i think you can appeal as well hope that helps x

You can appeal to the LEA, in the meantime, maybe you could ask at the school office whether there is any way you could put a notice up somewhere asking if other parents could offer her a lift for petrol money if there are others driving from your area? Failing that you can keep her at home at home and home school her until a place becomes available but it might not be an ideal solution.

There's nobody nearby who would be able to help with lifts so not an option there. Will have to appeal it I think. I've got in touch with the school to let them know the situation, hopefully they'll support my case as obviously she needs to be going to school.

I would speak to the LA to find out their advice.

As far as I'm aware appealing won't change the fact that they don't have spaces in the school year your lo is in. They can only have a certain number of children in each class and infant schools are always over subscribed. Once they get to junior school age the number of children allowed in each class goes up and therefore you are much more likely to get a place.
I'm assuming that appealing my well push you further up the waiting list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->