Cheaper to make your own?

J

Jem88

I've been looking online and to make a cloth nappy, you'd need a piece of patternd material for the outside, a piece of soft material for the inside, sew them together and then make square pieces of terry toweling for the insides? is this right, or am i missing somthing?

If you want the nappy to be waterproof as it is, you'd need a layer of something like PUL to go inbetween the inner and outer layers.

That's also only one type of nappy, there are a myriad of different types, and each would require different "making" (if that makes sense!)

Depending on the nappy you wanted, you'd also need something like aplix (velcro), or poppers to fasten it (if you weren't going to use nappy nippas or similar).

It probably would work out cheaper, but I'm not sure I could be bothered with the faff, tbh!

Yeah, I'm sure if you're nifty with a sewing machine and were going to buy a few metres of fabric it would work out cheaper, but I know I could'nt do it!

it's debatable really - pul isn't the cheapest of fabrics.
i guess you could do it cheaply if you purchased wraps and just did the inner. but then terrys would probably still work out cheaper

Unless you luckily found the perfect design, fabrics and shape for your LO on your first attempts, I think it's actually cheaper to get professionally/WAHM made ones if you want professional-quality nappies. You can make your own fairly easily but it would be a lot of hassle to get it right and there wouldn't be much resale value if you made ones that didn't suit your LO.

I made a few when logan was smaller but he out grew them so fast!!

By the time you buy fabric,pul, bamboo/cotton/hemp, elastic,poppers/velcro... its alot of work tbh! And there was a good few tries before i figured out the perfect nappy shape for him!!

If you're woried about the cost (and who wouldn't be!) I'd go for terries and wraps - Terries are about £12 for a dozen, we started off with two dozen, and then I cut down and overlocked a dozen when she was a teeny newborn as it worked better so I bought another dozen later on. Wraps can be bought second hand pretty cheaply - I found the imse vimse soft wraps to be perfect for us, but Motherease rikki are good, as are Motherease airflow (poppered version) and the poppolino ones weren't bad either. We started with four in newborn and four in small, then bought four medium a bit later on and use two sizes at the same time generally. We also have a pack of desperately cheap old style mothercare plastic pants for emergencies when a wash is on. We dry pail and wash in bio at 40 degrees. I suppose cost wise we spent about £80 at the beginning on terries, nippas, a pail and wraps, and £30 every so often on new wraps. Since she got solid poos, we've used flushable liners, but before that we didn't line her terries - no rash, no nothing, we just shoved dirty nappies straight in the bucket and then in the machine. We use the origami fold, easy as pie once you get the knack. I am pretty nifty on the old sewing machine, and I absolutely couldn't make them any cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->