Checking own cervix

AMAS86

Pregnant with #4!
Reaction score
Anyone do this? I've read up on it the past 2 days, bought KY, cut my nails, washed my hands thoroughly and then chickened out. I've read and read and still am not sure what to look for and how. Any info would be grateful. TMI :)

If you can actually still REACH I'll be super impressed!

Ive done it. Its actually really easy. Just read up really good about what all of the different positions, textures, and dialation means. You can probably find videos on YouTube showing you what to look for. Sitting on the toilet is the easiest position for me. I sat on the edge of the seat, not with my butt in the ring like when you're using it, I put my butt on the ring and then one foot up on the tub edge can be helpful too. I will tell you this much, even if your fingertip fits in kinda that's not dialated, it actually has to fit in all the way for it be dialated. You could always have your SO help, and if you can it would be safer to use some latex gloves too. Pm me if you need to ask anything else or just want to talk or hear more about my experience with it...lol

I'm not sure what the point is of checking your own cervix? You're still quite a way from giving birth (well hopefully!) and the midwives will check when you're in labour. Personally I wouldn't bother. Well, I'm not going to bother anyway - I'd be worried about irritating it!

Ive done it. Its actually really easy. Just read up really good about what all of the different positions, textures, and dialation means. You can probably find videos on YouTube showing you what to look for. Sitting on the toilet is the easiest position for me. I sat on the edge of the seat, not with my butt in the ring like when you're using it, I put my butt on the ring and then one foot up on the tub edge can be helpful too. I will tell you this much, even if your fingertip fits in kinda that's not dialated, it actually has to fit in all the way for it be dialated. You could always have your SO help, and if you can it would be safer to use some latex gloves too. Pm me if you need to ask anything else or just want to talk or hear more about my experience with it...lol

I ended up checking last night and I found it. Wasn't too hard to reach and it was squishy and posterior. Not sure about dilation as I couldn't reach around to the front of the cervix? I did wear gloves :) Luckily I had a box at home. I'm in college, medical field, and will be working with OBs so knowing how to check a cervix is a must so why not start with mine :) Feel free to message me any tips. I have another semester to go before we learn cervical checks so any info would be awesome as my books don't give much :/

Definitely do wear gloves. I wouldn't check your cervix until closer to your due date, like closer to 36 wks bc it can cause mild contractions and you are super early so why risk it.

I did this at the end of pregnancy with DD (and during labour) to feel my own dilation. I do it this time whenever I've had a ton of BHs and worry about dilating -- it puts my mind at ease. I knew I was 3-4 cm for a few weeks, and feeling it while I was fully dilated was trippy! I'm going to be a midwife in the future so I do think it's nice to practice on myself.

Unlike other people checking your cervix, you don't have to wear gloves if you don't want to as long as you make sure your hands are washed VERY well. You are far less likely to introduce infection compared to someone else checking your cervix, so there's no reason not to -- it's your body after all!

I like this article: it explains the positions and what you will be feeling. https://wisewomanwayofbirth.com/tag/cervix/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->