Chewing gum

K

KathrynW

What age did you wait until/will you wait until before allowing your child to have chewing gum?

I'd never really thought about this before, until my 4 year old asked if she was allowed some, because her friend did. So wondered what everyone's take on this was...

I have no clue- sorry. Not sure there is a good age- just when your child is capable and won't just swallow it ;) Personally, because the sound of gum chewing get's under my skin (lol) I'd hold off long as possible- and I chewed a lot of gum as a kid and my jaw still clicks because of it! But yea, never really thought about what age would be Ok?

I think you definitely have to wait until they won't swallow it. I'd also wait until they know not to chew it if they don't have food in their stomach as if they chew it on an empty tummy then it will get the acids going and they will start working on the stomach lining rather than the food.

I personally would hold off for as long as possible. Partly because i don't really see the point in chewing gum anyway but also because the sooner you allow your child to do something or have something because a friend does then the sooner you are starting to have to deal with peer pressure.

My children aren't allowed it at all - until they hit high school. Things are different then, boundaries move. I have actually argued with members of the family about this!

I don't mind them having it at 12, but god help them if they chew it in my ear! :lol:

I am not a fan of it at all. My 12 year old does not have it as I just do not see the point. He has never actually asked for it. If a friend gave him some while at school then thats fine, I wont have a problem with it but im not going to start buying it for him.

My eldest is 11 and she hasn't had any gum yet. Never really thought about it.

Thankyou for everyone's opinions. I don't think any of my children will be having it any time soon!

I'm surprised to hear this many people feeling so strongly about it. Both of my DS's (8 & 5) have had gum at some point, and I never really thought twice about it. They both know that you can't swallow it, so we've never had a problem. Are you all really telling me your children have never had bubble gum, or eaten a Blow Pop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->