Chicken Pox .... isolation??

Penfoldrocks

Mummy to Finn
Reaction score
Hi

My DS has just been confirmed to have Chicken Pox! I'm a stay at home mum so he doesn't go to nursery or anything. I am just unsure of how/what I can do with him during the day, (if anything) e.g. go to park, etc. I don't want to risk infecting anyone. I know we could end up staying in the house or our garden for two weeks or so, and my son is such an active child.

I may have to inflate our ball pool etc to occupy him in the house/garden over the next week or so.

What did you do when your LO had chicken pox? was it acceptable to go for a walk in pushchair? how did you cope with getting small shopping amounts? large shop i can do online.

I think it's fine to take him out for a walk in his stroller, as long as he doesn't share water/juice/snacks/toys with other children or adults.

He was more infectious before the spot started coming out so keeping him in total isolation is pointless really. As long as he's not too close to other children you should be ok so walks in the pushchair would be fine.

You only really need to keep him away until the spots have all scabbed. Tom's took about a week to be all scabbed up. I did keep him totally in for 2 days but that was only because he was really poorly then.

As others said, I'd just take him out in the pram or if there is a playing field he can run around in where he wont come in contact with anyone. Maybe take a ball or something if he's up to it x

Have a pox party! We did for people whose LOs had already had it or mums that wanted them to get it young.

I also took them to non kid places - fish shop (free aquarium) IKEA, Tesco etc etc the boys were all done in five days so it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

I had a very small pox party for my friend who really wanted her LO to have it early and she was panicking he'd get it when it was his christening. He spent a whole afternoon playing with Tom including sharing snack and drinks (like they do) and still didn't catch it. He's just had it now 7 months later having got it at a creche.

Thanks everyone, I think I will still take him out for walks in the pushchair, no where busy, we have a local field so will take a ball to kick about. I'm going to get my Hubby to mow the lawn tomorrow so we can play out the back, and the ball pit will be inflated.
Hopefully he will be over the pox soon.

You would be fine to go for a walk but don't go anywhere where you will be exposing other children to the pox.

Also I wouldn't go to places where there are no kids either as even if there are no children at the place you go to there could be adults/pregnant women who haven't had the pox and it's supposed to be much worse to catch it as an adult and it can be very dangerous (even fatal in extreme cases) for a pregnant woman who has never had it to get it whilst pregnant.

Soon as the last spot is scabbed over LO is no longer contagious so you are free to go anywhere then.

He was more infectious before the spot started coming out so keeping him in total isolation is pointless really. As long as he's not too close to other children you should be ok so walks in the pushchair would be fine.

You only really need to keep him away until the spots have all scabbed. Tom's took about a week to be all scabbed up. I did keep him totally in for 2 days but that was only because he was really poorly then.

I agree with this. Daniel and Esther's all scabbed up within 2 days so i went about everything as normal. Given that they are most infectious before the spots come out i don't really agree with the whole you have to keep them in at home until they are gone.

But there's a big difference between knowingly exposing people (spots out but not scabbed over) and not knowingly exposing people (scabs not out yet).

Chicken pox can be very dangerous for some people. It is rare but people can die from CP complications or be very, very ill.

Why take the risk of infecting a vulnerable person? Stay home with your son for a couple of days. It's not that hard. You refer to a garden in your OP, so it sounds like he's got space to run around outside.

We didn't let our daughter out of the house for a week when she got CP. She was allowed out when she scabbed over. It was a hard week but it is the right thing to do.

when dd had caught it we where worried about the impromptu party we had the day before the spots came out, significant exposure is listed as a face to face conversation or 10 minutes in the same room as each other (or similar!).. it is very contagious.

When she had it we got loads of dvd's from the library, let her play outside in the garden, did art each day went out in the car.. she was okish during the day, it was the nights which where hard.

The

The nurse at the surgery recommended priton for the itching, it really really helped...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->