Chicken pox...

BethK

Reaction score
My DD has a play date at my mum and dads on Sunday with my two nieces.

One of my nieces has Chicken Pox.

My DD has already had it and I had it when I was a child.

Is it safe for my DD to still go? I won't be there but she will be playing with my niece and then come back to me.

If she carries the virus back it can't get to baby can it?

Beth, how are things?? I am assuming everything is ok! :D

Personally, I'd probably won't bring her for the play date. Better be safe than sorry. Hopefully other ladies will have better insight. I just want to see if you are ok :).

If you have had chicken pox before, then there is nothing you need to do to protect your baby during pregnancy. Your body should have antibodies that protect you from contracting chicken pox; therefore, your baby will be protected.

A little blurb from americanpregnancy.org

As long as you have had it its fine (I checked it out after it turned out that DD had chicken pox when we met up with a pregnant friend).

If DD has had it as well it should all be fine (as long as she was over 1 there is a chance if you get it under 1 you can get it again!)

Your daughter will be fine to go to the play date.

Your baby is only at danger if you actually get chickenpox or shingles whilst pregnant and not if your exposed to it.

As you and your daughter have had chickenpox before both of you will now be immune to chickenpox making it extremely unlikely either of you will get it again. Also you cannot catch shingles from someone with chickenpox.

I know all this for a fact. I have done a lot of reading into this over the past week as I was exposed to chickenpox just over a week ago and have never had it as a child. The first thing my doctor did was to take blood to test if I had had it as a child without knowing. If I had, my blood would have showed I was immune to chickenpox. However it turned out I wasn't immune (as I thought) so my doctor gave me a vaccination to help fight it off. Now i just have to wait another 3 weeks to see if the vaccination worked or not (as it is not 100% effective).

Actually, shingles while pregnant is fine too. Not fun, but ok. I had them at 31 weeks with baby #3. I've seen women with them in the first trimester too.

Thank you everyone, great information :)

ILT I'm ok thank you. I called my doc yesterday about the blood and pains, he called me in for an exam and after an internal sent me straight up to the hospital EPU.

They did bloods etc and scanned me, they found a sac measuring 7 weeks and an embryo measuring 6.5 weeks. They also saw the flicker of the heart :). Don't think I've ever prayed to anything so hard!

They found the bleed but said it didn't look like it was affecting the pregnancy but they don't know where it's coming from. Had a bit more today.

They did say it could have been from the other embryo coming away, keeping my fingers crossed the bleeding stops soon and everything is ok for my next scan on 5th March.

Xx

Beth, Yaaay for the scan! So, looks like you need to update your ticker? I remember having this convo regarding timing through the IVF thread lol. So are they counting it from LMP or from transfer day? Really happy to hear that everything is ok though :D.

Beth, Yaaay for the scan! So, looks like you need to update your ticker? I remember having this convo regarding timing through the IVF thread lol. So are they counting it from LMP or from transfer day? Really happy to hear that everything is ok though :D.

I don't know what I go by. The IVF clinic go by egg collection minus 2 weeks (same as my ticker).

Docs and hospital said they go from the first day of my LMP which means today I would be 6+1

But the scan shows the sac at 7 weeks and embryo 6+5

I'm just so relieved, getting scans every 2 weeks until 2nd tri

Wow..that's a bit confusing. :) well as long as the baby is healthy gestation age is just numbers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->