Chicken pox

Khadijah-x

Reaction score
Hi :hugs:

So.. my friend messaged me to say her son has chicken pox. I was around him a few days ago. NHS website says it's mostly contagious 1-2 days before the rash appears (I was with him about 4 days ago) but I am still super paranoid!

I don't think I've ever had chicken pox so it's worrying me even more. I have left a message with my midwife.

:cry:

Your GP can test your immunity, CP is only a real issue just before baby is due. Ive never had it but I do have immunity to it, try not to worry x

Your GP can test your immunity, CP is only a real issue just before baby is due. Ive never had it but I do have immunity to it, try not to worry x

Thank you hun. I think even if a mother catches it, there's a 1% chance of baby being effected. If near birth there's a 30% chance! So I'm feeling ok... I left a message but hasn't got back to me. I'll be seeing her Wednesday anyway so I hope she will check my immunity then for peace of mind. Thank you

If you saw your friends son 4 days before the spots appeared I would say that you will be fine.

But if your still worried then ring your GP for an emergency appointment. If your GP is concerned they will get you to have a bloodtest to check if your immune.

If your not immune they will give you a VZIG vaccination. It's safe in pregnancy but it's given in the thigh and hurts a little bit. It needs to be given within 4 days after being exposed to be most effective, but it can be given up to 10 days after exposure.

The vaccine is only 50-75% effective at preventing chickenpox but if you still get it then the symptoms should be less severe.

The risk to baby is that chickenpox in a mum to be can cause birth defects in around 1% of babies if your 0-12 weeks pregnant, and in around 2% of babies if your 13-28 weeks pregnant. The risk of birth defects is 0% after 28 weeks.

I had the VZIG vaccine 12 days ago as I saw my neice a day before she came out in chickenpox and I've never had it. I saw my doctor 2 days after exposure, got a bloodtest done that same day, results came back 3 days after exposure saying I was not immune and my Dr administered the VZIG vaccine 3 days after exposure.

The vaccine can increase the incubation period of chickenpox by around a week so I have to wait until 28 days after having the vaccine (which will be 5pm on 17th March) to know if I'm in the clear or not.

If you need any more info let me know as I've done LOTS of research into this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->