Chicken pox

SophiasMummy

Mummy to Sophia
Reaction score
Ok so my 5 year old came out in spots this morning, I was expecting it as a kid in her class had it last week and she hadn't had them yet.

however I'm a single parent so if I need to do something she needs to go with me. luckily I food shop online so that's not a worry but we need to walk the dog twice a day is she ok to come out to walk the dog??, I don't really have much choice as my mum (the only person who could watch her) had an operation yesterday so can't help and really lives too far away for it to be practical anyway and we don't have a garden.

so I've got a couple questions if anyone can help, is she ok to come out on walks (as long as she's up to it)?? what things (medicines etc) are good for chicken pox??. I've got calpol and piriton already and calamine lotion coming tomorrow, I also heard baths are good to help soothe especially if you use porridge oats in tights and run the water through it?? She's ok right now apart from being a bit itchy as more spots are popping up I've told her not to scratch them but that she can rub them gently, is that ok?? oh and I've got some ice pops

This is a kid who has been ill a grand total of 4 times in her life, two colds, one cough and a nasty ear infection and tends to take them in her stride. so I'm at a bit of a loss of knowing what to do for sure

oh also how long until she can go back to school?? she was gutted she couldn't go today

My nearly 4 year old also came out in chicken pox, this morning. I think you will be absolutely fine to take your LO out with the dog, she may enjoy the fresh air and even if it's for 15 minutes you'll get a breather too. I'm currently using calamine lotion and calpol. Haven't tried bath yet although I've also heard porridge oats is a good soother.

I think they say five days after the last spot appears?

Hope your LO is better soon xx

Hi, hopefully it wont be too bad an infection. Bicarbonate of soda in the bath is also good.
I have to say that if it were my DS and I was in a similar position regarding walking the dog then as long as he wasn't running a temperature and was wrapped up - and not likely to bump into anyone whom he could infect- then I would take him for a short walk, it really comes down to how she is feeling and not letting her get too tired. Would one of your neighbors walk the dog for you? I know my brother did that for a freind recently who was in the same position.

She remains infectious until the last of her spots has fully crusted over, while there is any fluid in any of the spots she can pass it on so its not so much about 5 days after the last spots appear unfortunately.

My nearly 4 year old also came out in chicken pox, this morning. I think you will be absolutely fine to take your LO out with the dog, she may enjoy the fresh air and even if it's for 15 minutes you'll get a breather too. I'm currently using calamine lotion and calpol. Haven't tried bath yet although I've also heard porridge oats is a good soother.

I think they say five days after the last spot appears?

Hope your LO is better soon xx

Thank you i hope your LO is better soon too.

It's not been too bad so far she's just a bit itchy as more and more spots came up through the day but like I said it takes a lot to really bring her down so I'm hoping she isn't too bad, she's just gone to bed and I've given her some piriton and calpol in the hope that it might help her sleep. we've managed to hold off on it all day while keeping an eye on her temp but I expect it will be worse tomorrow.

Hi, hopefully it wont be too bad an infection. Bicarbonate of soda in the bath is also good.
I have to say that if it were my DS and I was in a similar position regarding walking the dog then as long as he wasn't running a temperature and was wrapped up - and not likely to bump into anyone whom he could infect- then I would take him for a short walk, it really comes down to how she is feeling and not letting her get too tired. Would one of your neighbors walk the dog for you? I know my brother did that for a freind recently who was in the same position.

She remains infectious until the last of her spots has fully crusted over, while there is any fluid in any of the spots she can pass it on so its not so much about 5 days after the last spots appear unfortunately.

Thanks she started with four spots this morning and is now up to about 30 which my mum said probably means she will be covered, I'm just hoping it doesn't affect her too much.

I live in a tiny village so we're unlikely to come across anyone out walking. I wish someone else could walk him but unfortunately he can only be walked by me. luckily living in a small village in the country side means there's a little area less than a 2 minute walk from my front door where the dog can go if we can't go far.

Hi SophiasMummy and Natasha2605 - just wondering how it's going for both of you and your children? I hope that they're both over the worst by now and that it didn't get to bad?

My daughter has been okay. They mainly ended up to her face (about 20), maybe 12 throughout the rest of her torso and some through her hair. Only two down below so we have been very lucky :) We've spent our time doing jigsaws, painting, baking, gluing etc so it's not been too bad at all.

Thank you for asking :)

Was actually just popping by to ask OP how Sophia was doing? xx

Thanks girls she's doing ok considering she's pretty much completely covered and has a huge one that's come up on her tongue today. she's pretty good in herself and managing to eat, though didn't sleep well last night because she was itching really bad.

she's only comfortable wearing a loose dress now because everything else rubs. but she's enjoying the oatmeal baths and calamine lotion every night before bed and her temperature has stayed pretty normal but that had probably been helped by the fact she can't wear all the layers she normally would. I'm hoping they've finished coming up now but will have to wait and see.

Natasha2605 glad your LO hasn't been too bad. Sophia's are mostly concentrated on her torso, neck and face, she's got over a hundred just on her tummy and back

Glad they're both getting through it. It's amazing how differently it effects different people. ShophiasMummy fingers crossed that's the last of them out now and that the one in her mouth heals qhickly - do you think she would swill some slightly salty water around her mouth and spit it out? Might help it to heal quickly.
Natasha - brilliant that so few have come out.

Glad they're both getting through it. It's amazing how differently it effects different people. ShophiasMummy fingers crossed that's the last of them out now and that the one in her mouth heals qhickly - do you think she would swill some slightly salty water around her mouth and spit it out? Might help it to heal quickly.
Natasha - brilliant that so few have come out.

Thanks I didn't think of that I'll see if she'll do it tommorow. She's got an unlimited supply of ice pops which are obviously going down well and so far tonight is sleeping through so I'm hoping last night was the worst night and that she will start to feel less itchy over the next few days a lot of her spots have scabbed over already so will have to wait and see

Oh no, that's a shame she took it so badly, strange how it can go one way or another isn't it :hugs: Summer had it horrendously so I really feel for you both .

Hope she continued to sleep well and heals soon :hugs: Maci slept through for the first night since getting them last night xx

I found virasoothe really helped my boys Hun. Also if you can get some calamine cream. Seems to work better than the lotion xx

Thanks girls. All better now. She's going back to school Monday (so excited). Last couple days her attitude has come back with vengeance so I know she's better the one on her tongue is completly gone and all the rest are scabbed over and healing.

Had to ring her school today because I realised I haven't had a chance to buy her christmas play tickets luckily they said they would keep some back for me to pick up monday as they've almost sold out already I could never have forgiven myself if I couldn't go to her play I remember how gutted I always was as a kid because my mum never came to anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->