Childbirths using pain alternatives to epidurals, how did they work?

cruise

Reaction score
Seems like all the birth stories I read involve either an epidural or drug-free childbirth.

I've read that there do exist alternatives, like Demerol or cervical numbing. Was wondering if anyone here had an epidural-free childbirth with pain relief and how did it go for you? What did you use?

I'm not really much help hun, but didn't want to read and run. Plus i'm going to be stalking this thread to see if any one else has any views.
But when I had my son, i had pethodine.. think that's what it was called, might have spelt it wrong tho. Which i'm pretty sure made me sick. And didn't really help with the pain for very long, if at all. But i think its different for everyone really.

I'm not sure where you are based but in the UK, there are many options available.

Self-help
The following techniques can help you to be more relaxed in labour, which can help you to cope with the pain.
Learn about labour. This can make you feel more in control and less frightened about what's going to happen. Talk to your midwife or doctor, ask them questions and go to antenatal classes.
Learn how to relax, stay calm and breathe deeply.
Keep moving. Your position can make a difference, so try kneeling, walking around or rocking backwards and forwards.
Bring a partner, friend or relative to support you during labour, but if you don't have anyone, don't worry – your midwife will give you all the support you need.
Ask your partner to massage you (although you may find that you don't want to be touched).
Have a bath.

Hydrotherapy (being in water)
Water can help you relax and make the contractions seem less painful. Ask if you can have a bath or use a birth pool. The water will be kept at a comfortable temperature but not above 37.5°C, and your temperature will be monitored.
The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and the Royal College of Midwives have produced a joint statement on labour and birth in water. The National Childbirth Trust also has information on using water during labour and birth.

Gas and air (Entonox)
This is a mixture of oxygen and nitrous oxide gas. Gas and air won't remove all the pain but it can help to reduce it and make it more bearable. Many women like it because it's easy to use and they control it themselves.
How it works
You breathe in the gas and air through a mask or mouthpiece, which you hold yourself. You'll probably practise using the mask or mouthpiece if you go to an antenatal class. The gas takes about 15 to 20 seconds to work, so you breathe it in just as a contraction begins. It works best if you take slow, deep breaths.
Side effects
There are no harmful side effects for you or the baby but it can make you feel light-headed. Some women also find that it makes them feel sick, sleepy or unable to concentrate. If this happens, you can stop using it.
If gas and air doesn't give you enough pain relief, you can ask for a painkilling injection as well.

Pethidine injections
Another form of pain relief is the intramuscular injection (into the muscle of your thigh or buttock) of a drug, such as pethidine or, less commonly, diamorphine. The injection can also help you to relax, which can lessen the pain.
How it works
It takes about 20 minutes to work after the injection, and the effects last between two and four hours.
Side effects
There are some side effects to be aware of:
It can make some women feel woozy, sick and forgetful.
If it hasn't worn off towards the end of labour it can make it difficult to push. You might prefer to ask for half a dose initially to see how it works for you.
If pethidine or diamorphine are given too close to the time of delivery they may affect the baby's breathing. If this happens, another drug to reverse the effect will be given.
The drugs can interfere with the baby's first feed.

TENS
This stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. Some hospitals have TENS machines. If not, you can hire your own machine.
TENS has not been shown to be effective during the active phase of labour (when contractions get longer, stronger and more frequent). It's probably most effective during the early stages when many women experience low back pain.
TENS may also be useful while you're at home in the early stages of labour or if you plan to give birth at home. If you're interested in TENS, learn how to use it in the later months of your pregnancy. Ask your midwife to show you how it works.
How it works
Electrodes are taped onto your back and connected by wires to a small battery-powered stimulator. Holding this, you give yourself small, safe amounts of current through the electrodes. You can move around while you use TENS.
TENS is believed to work by stimulating the body to produce more of its own natural painkillers, called endorphins. It also reduces the number of pain signals that are sent to the brain by the spinal cord.
Side effects
There are no known side effects for either you or the baby.

Epidural anaesthesia
An epidural is a special type of local anaesthetic. It numbs the nerves that carry the pain impulses from the birth canal to the brain. For most women, an epidural gives complete pain relief. It can be helpful for women who are having a long or particularly painful labour, or who are becoming distressed.
An anaesthetist is the only person who can give an epidural, so it won't be available if you give birth at home. If you think you might want one, check whether anaesthetists are always available at your hospital.
How much you can move your legs after en epidural depends on the local anaesthetic used. Some units offer 'mobile' epidurals, which means you can walk around. However, this also requires the baby's heart rate to be monitored remotely (by telemetry) and many units don't have the equipment to do this. Ask your midwife if this a mobile epiduran is available in your local unit.
An epidural can provide very good pain relief, but it's not always 100% effective in labour. The Obstetric Anaesthetists Association estimates that one in eight women who have an epidural during labour need to use other methods of pain relief.
How it works
To have an epidural:
A drip will run fluid through a needle into a vein in your arm.
While you lie on your side or sit up in a curled position, an anaesthetist will clean your back with antiseptic, numb a small area with some local anaesthetic and then introduce a needle into your back.
A very thin tube will be passed through the needle into your back near the nerves that carry pain impulses from the uterus. Drugs, usually a mixture of local anaesthetic and opioid, are administered through this tube. (An opioid is a drug that binds to special opioid receptors in the body, reducing pain.) It takes about 10 minutes to set up the epidural, and another 10 to 15 minutes for it to work. It doesn't always work perfectly at first and may need adjusting.
After it has been set up, the epidural can be topped up by your midwife, or you may be able to top up the epidural yourself through a machine.
Your contractions and the baby's heart rate will need to be continuously monitored. This means having a belt around your abdomen and possibly a clip attached to the baby's head.
Side effects
There are some side effects to be aware of:
An epidural may make your legs feel heavy, depending on the local anaesthetic used.
An epidural shouldn't make you drowsy or sick.
Your blood pressure can drop (hypotension); however, this is rare because the fluid given through the drip in your arm helps maintain good blood pressure.
Epidurals can prolong the second stage of labour. If you can no longer feel your contractions, the midwife will have to tell you when to push. This means that forceps or a ventouse may be needed to help deliver the baby's head (instrumental delivery). When you have an epidural, your midwife or doctor will wait longer for the baby's head to come down (before you start pushing). This reduces the chance you will need an instrumental delivery. Sometimes, less anaesthetic is given towards the end so that the effect wears off and you can push the baby out naturally.
You may find it difficult to pass urine as a result of the epidural. If so, a small tube called a catheter may be put into your bladder to help you.
About one in 100 women gets a headache after an epidural. If this happens, it can be treated.
Your back might be a bit sore for a day or two but epidurals don't cause long-term backache.
About one in 2,000 women feels tingles or pins and needles down one leg after having a baby. This is more likely to be the result of childbirth itself rather than the epidural. You'll be advised by the doctor or midwife when you can get out of bed.

Alternative methods of pain relief
Some women prefer to avoid the types of pain relief listed on this page, and choose alternative treatments such as acupuncture, aromatherapy, homeopathy, hypnosis, massage and reflexology. However, most of these techniques don't provide effective pain relief.

Princess Lou - this is an awesome description and list of available pain medication options. So good I think it should be a sticky! lol :thumbup:

Thanks soooo much! :)

I'm hoping to also hear some more personal experiences. The middle road sure seems like one not often taken!

My plans are to start with no pain relief and build if I need to. There are also water injections available in some places. They have demonstrated a dramatic pain relieving effect for many women with low back pain in labour. It involves the caregiver using small amounts of sterile water (about 0.1ml) injected into 4 strategic locations under the surface of the woman's skin. I don't know too much about them or how widely used they are though.

I know some women who managed to do it all without any pain relief and I know people who had three epidurals.

From what I have read about America though and seen on birthing shows, it seems to be, like you say, an epidural or no pain relief at all. I fail to understand why the medical community do not offer alternative methods of pain relief.

However, make sure you speak to your care provider about what is available then you can make an informed decision about which method you would prefer to use and which methods you will be willing to use.

Best of luck to all ladies.

I had gas and air and nothing else, it did nothing for the pain but deflected it as it helped me relax a bit, though this time round I will be looking into breathing exercises as im pretty sure that the gas and air put me on another planet !!!! I was dazed afterwards quite a bit.

I thought that the pain would get a lot worse so held off anything more. I didn't want drugs to effect me or the baby

I had the intrathecal with my first. Fentanyl injected into the same spot that an epidural would go, but no catheter left in, just a quick shot. The pain relief was instantaneous vs the 30 min or so wait that I hear it takes for an epidural. It also only numbs you in the middle, so I could still feel my legs and move around although they did still want me to be monitored after the shot. The pain relief lasts 2 hours at which point you can get another shot, if needed. Mine wore off just as it was time to push.
It was absolutely the most brilliant thing ever!!! I was in agony with non stop contractions, hard and fast labor, and after the shot I got to chat with the nurses and relax and rest up before the pushing stage.
With my second I asked for the shot again, but my labor was too fast (30 min), so they didn't have time to give me the shot. Given the choice I'd opt for the shot every time. I can't recommend it highly enough. It definitely didn't slow my labor down any and my son's heart rate was textbook perfect on the monitor and he came out screaming with a 10 apgar.
Without the drugs, I'd have been in agony with no recollection of anything but the pain, with the drugs I was 100% in the moment and able to recall every detail, and still do to this day, of the birth.

I used some hypnobirthing techniques and gas and air. I'm not sure where you are but I have heard in the us there is no gas and air but here in aus that is an option which I took as I didn't want the Epi or pethadine because it goes straight through to the baby as well as you so it drugs the baby essentially. When we were told about it in our birthing class my hospital don't like giving it and that they use it as a last option but it's different every where and people have different opinions about it. I loved the gas and air. It made me feel really sick and I threw up but they just have me a jab in the butt and I didn't vomit or feel sick after that. It didn't stop the pain at all it just took the edge off until my sister turned it up by accident and it made me fall asleep so after 10 minutes of that it was taken off me. I had read up a bit on hypnobirthing and calming techniques. I had relaxation music playing and dim lights, I also paced the room my whole labor and with each contraction my sister would rub down my arms as I breathed out and I imagined the pain being forced out through my arms and omg it was amazing your mind is a very very strong tool during labor and he more in control you stay and a calm state of mind the less it hurts in my opinion anyway. There were a few times where it hurt like hell and I would temporarily lose my focus and as soon as I would the pain would feel worse but my sister was such a great support she would whip me straight back into line and I would be focused again. But at the end of the day you need to find what works for you and what your comfortable with. What works for me might not do anything for you. If you don't want to do the Epi I would suggest trying those techniques. We also have a thing called water injections here that are injected into your spine to help relieve the pain. I didn't have them but a friend of mine did and she said they were great so if that's an option where you are that could be something to think about also. Good luck :)

I had the intrathecal with my first. Fentanyl injected into the same spot that an epidural would go, but no catheter left in, just a quick shot. The pain relief was instantaneous vs the 30 min or so wait that I hear it takes for an epidural. It also only numbs you in the middle, so I could still feel my legs and move around although they did still want me to be monitored after the shot. The pain relief lasts 2 hours at which point you can get another shot, if needed. Mine wore off just as it was time to push.
It was absolutely the most brilliant thing ever!!! I was in agony with non stop contractions, hard and fast labor, and after the shot I got to chat with the nurses and relax and rest up before the pushing stage.
With my second I asked for the shot again, but my labor was too fast (30 min), so they didn't have time to give me the shot. Given the choice I'd opt for the shot every time. I can't recommend it highly enough. It definitely didn't slow my labor down any and my son's heart rate was textbook perfect on the monitor and he came out screaming with a 10 apgar.
Without the drugs, I'd have been in agony with no recollection of anything but the pain, with the drugs I was 100% in the moment and able to recall every detail, and still do to this day, of the birth.

Oh wow, that sounds really good. I wonder if they offer that here also, i noticed that you were in USA.

My labour was 3 hours start to finish so I didn't have time for an epidural. I had pethidine, which didn't work at all. When I got to birth suite her head was half out and they gave me gas and air for the rest of the pushing. I don't know if it was the amount of pain I was in or the effect of the pethidine but I just couldn't coordinate the sucking and pushing! It made me feel dizzy but didn't work, she was out after 10 minutes though so maybe I would have got the hang of it given a little time.

I was in with my sis when she gave birth and before she had an epidural they gave her water injections into her back. It was the scariest scream I have ever heard when they injected it, she said it was 10x worse than any contraction, and it didn't work so I definitely don't want that!

The intrathecal sounds interesting. If they last 2 hours it would probably cover my labour!

I had morphine and gas and air. The first dose of morphine was given when I was 6-7cm and it was great, I didnt spend any time in bed moved around the room, on a birthing ball etc and used gas and air with each contraction which I also liked. Problems arose when the morphine wore off just as I got to 10cm and I couldnt stand the pain and was getting distressed, the midwife said it could be another 4 hours so i got another shot of morphine, however he was born 16 mins later and wasnt breathing due to the morphine. It took 4 hours before I seen him and from reading my notes it took him 15 mins to breath. He was in neonatal and was so sleepy it was impossible to feed him. Luckily I still managed to breastfeed him but it took 24 hours before he would wake up.

I still think this was quite good pain relief but be aware of the implications as 3 other girls at baby classes iv been to had the same experiance!! If I was to do it again I wouldnt have had any more morphine after the first shot

From what I have read about America though and seen on birthing shows, it seems to be, like you say, an epidural or no pain relief at all. I fail to understand why the medical community do not offer alternative methods of pain relief.

They offered me an injection with a narcotic, which only worked for about 15 minutes, and didn't help at all with the back pain. The nurse also tried to do some breathing exercises with me, which only made me punch my pillow. I gladly accepted the epidural after that and had a wonderful/amazing/beautiful pain-free birth, which is what I wanted in the first place (the hospital was the one trying to get me to stay away from it!). You just have to ask what options are available at that particular site.

Most people I know have used gas & air and hired a tens machine.

But you're stuck between a rock & a hard place in the US with no gas& air! It's unbelievable really.

It depends on where you live and what your options are, mine were at the hospital where I was at, was either drug free or epidural, there is no in between.. which kinda sucks for those who want to mainly stay drug free but just want the edge taken off.

I had gas and air which didn't really do much pain wise but the acion of using it seemed to help regulate my breathing. I also had pethidine and wished I hadn't, it made me puke over everyone in the room and did nothing for the pain!

I was supposed to go in the water but the hospital was too busy but I am planning on it this time :thumbup:

I had pethadine and was high as a kite, it did nothing for the pain but made me loopy and slowed down my labour a great deal, wouldn't have it again :haha:

1st i had nothing
2nd i was induced with a drip n had a 11lb 2 baby!! i had diamorphine it was brill! took the edge off n i didnt feel as tense, baby was lil sleepy that was only issue,but he was fine

A lot of my labour was spent using breathing techniques to get through contractions. I succumbed to gas and air but to be honest I wish I'd held out longer as it made me very confused!
This time I shall be using the breathing techniques and hopefully be in a birthing pool too to try and get through labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->