Children and alcohol in their own home

i'm with you on the toy guns etc i find it wrong that a child should get enjoyment out of pretending to hurt, injure or kill someone. The only way i would give my LO a gun is if daddy was a soldier and LO wants to be like Daddy iykwim.

Back to alcolhol thing lol, My ex's dad once dipped my eldests dummy into his guiness and let him suck it, he was only about 9 month at the time, i went mental!! I screamed at him and made a bit of a scene but i thought i was in my right to do so. The only other time he tasted alcohol infront of me and that was by dipping his finger into a pint on holiday and he was told off for it. He's 7 now and i will not be offering and alcohol until its christmas and he is 14 xx

My OH smokes weed all the time but I wouldnt let Meadow have a go so I can teach her its bad. Theres other ways of doing it.

Can I ask, does he smoke it in the house and how long after having a smoke does he hold your daughter? Speaking as someone who grew up with their parents smoking cannabis, chances are she wouldn't touch it. Neither me my brother or sister have smoked it as we all saw what it did to our parents

He smokes it outside and he will always wash before touching her. Its going to be impossible to hide because kids arent stupid. But hopefully she wont want to do it. Ive not got a problem if she tries it as a teenager as long as it doesnt turn into a long term thing, like my OH. Ive tried it but dont like it because Im not into smoking. Hopefully she will choose not to do it.

Im glad im not the only one with this problem (not that im glad that your oh smokes it, ikykwim) Ive given up trying to get him to stop but if he is still doing it when Lucas is old enough to understand what he'd doing then I will be kicking off big style !

^ TBH @ Bubbles I don't really think anyone has the right to ask. I'd imagine he smokes it outside and like most people for everyday use have anti-bacterial handwash & gels (we have bottles of the gels everywhere) & doesn't automatically go and pick his daughter up when he goes inside.

I don't have an issue with toy guns. I had them growing up as I never liked girls toys. My Mums rules were not in the house, and never pointed at people. We were never allowed any that actually fired anything either, or made a bang, just made a click noise.

If I didn't have them, I pretended with sticks instead. :lol:

No wonder I'm with the TA now :rofl:

My OH smokes weed all the time but I wouldnt let Meadow have a go so I can teach her its bad. Theres other ways of doing it.

Can I ask, does he smoke it in the house and how long after having a smoke does he hold your daughter? Speaking as someone who grew up with their parents smoking cannabis, chances are she wouldn't touch it. Neither me my brother or sister have smoked it as we all saw what it did to our parents

He smokes it outside and he will always wash before touching her. Its going to be impossible to hide because kids arent stupid. But hopefully she wont want to do it. Ive not got a problem if she tries it as a teenager as long as it doesnt turn into a long term thing, like my OH. Ive tried it but dont like it because Im not into smoking. Hopefully she will choose not to do it.

Im glad im not the only one with this problem (not that im glad that your oh smokes it, ikykwim) Ive given up trying to get him to stop but if he is still doing it when Lucas is old enough to understand what he'd doing then I will be kicking off big style !

At the moment its only really done when Meadows in bed in the evening so its not really a problem right now.

At the moment its only really done when Meadows in bed in the evening so its not really a problem right now.

As a side note to that, my OH's sister can legally smoke it for medicinal purposes. Again, at that age how do you explain that its okay for some people but not for others?

I would just wait until they are older. Then talk to them about it. I dunno, I keep having all these scenarios in my head... like would you give your kid a line of coke to show him that cocaine is bad?

Everyone was so pissed on the alcohol it went off track :rofl:

i was given very watered down wine with meals on special occasions as a kid and tbh i cant see how it would stop you binge drinking in the future. ok, it's not taboo if its treated like this, but i think if you're gona binge drink you're gona binge drink. i have problems with alcohol, i know to avoid it now cos at my worst i was drinking 2+ bottles of wine every night. so the odd sip of wine didnt teach me not to binge drink.

a friend of my sister's in primary school used to go into school still drunk after doing shot races with her mum :shock: one thing i'll never forget that!!

i think katie might have had a taste of beer, we didnt offer her it, but she reached out for my dad's glass and put it up to her mouth! god knows how cos it was a couple of months ago! i mean, she probs only got the taste from the glass, no actual liquid - i was more impressed at her skills at holding the glass :lol:

i was given very watered down wine with meals on special occasions as a kid and tbh i cant see how it would stop you binge drinking in the future. ok, it's not taboo if its treated like this, but i think if you're gona binge drink you're gona binge drink. i have problems with alcohol, i know to avoid it now cos at my worst i was drinking 2+ bottles of wine every night. so the odd sip of wine didnt teach me not to binge drink.

a friend of my sister's in primary school used to go into school still drunk after doing shot races with her mum :shock: one thing i'll never forget that!!

i think katie might have had a taste of beer, we didnt offer her it, but she reached out for my dad's glass and put it up to her mouth! god knows how cos it was a couple of months ago! i mean, she probs only got the taste from the glass, no actual liquid - i was more impressed at her skills at holding the glass :lol:
LOL Caitlin did this sort of last week ...I had a small vodka and coke stressed I was right next to the side table that had my glass on I reached down to the remote on the floor or something turned round and she had an icecube in her mouth from my glass :shock: lol (she likes them) so she robbed a cube and put the glass back!

zanes tried to nick my ohs cans afew times n once got his mouth around it but he didnt drink any he just pulled his face haha

we had to clue hed learnt to reach the windowsil

Brooke steals cans of beer all the time ... unopened of course :rofl:

I in all honesty don't see the problem with a PARENT giving their 5year old a small drink of alcohol on occasion with a meal. I think introducing alcohol with meals helps deter (sp) children from the whole binge drinking attitude. Obviously you don't give spirits and never alot but I don't have a problem with a drop of wine maybe mixed with pure orange juice. I would however have a problem with someone else giving my child alcohol as I think it is something that should be controlled and allowed by the parent only

My parents always allowed me to have a glass (although it was not much bigger than a thimble) of wine with my meal on special occasions. There was always alcohol in the house and if I wanted it I could have it. I was the only one out of all my friends who never got drunk as I had no need to go against the 'rules', even now I know when to stop and never get really drunk. I think that they way my parents did that was good as I was shown from an early age how to drink responsibly. They do the same in Italy, France, Spain and other European countries and they do not have the problems that we have in the UK with binge drinking.

I in all honesty don't see the problem with a PARENT giving their 5year old a small drink of alcohol on occasion with a meal. I think introducing alcohol with meals helps deter (sp) children from the whole binge drinking attitude. Obviously you don't give spirits and never alot but I don't have a problem with a drop of wine maybe mixed with pure orange juice. I would however have a problem with someone else giving my child alcohol as I think it is something that should be controlled and allowed by the parent only

My parents always allowed me to have a glass (although it was not much bigger than a thimble) of wine with my meal on special occasions. There was always alcohol in the house and if I wanted it I could have it. I was the only one out of all my friends who never got drunk as I had no need to go against the 'rules', even now I know when to stop and never get really drunk. I think that they way my parents did that was good as I was shown from an early age how to drink responsibly. They do the same in Italy, France, Spain and other European countries and they do not have the problems that we have in the UK with binge drinking.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I either didn't explain myself properly or people just felt they wanted a rant at something/someone and thought it was a good idea to take it out of context

I think it's too vauge of a topic to be lumped into one category.

I have friends who weren't allowed to have ANY alcohol when they were young, and some are alcoholics, some aren't. Also, I have friends who were allowed to have alcohol and again, some now are alcoholics and some aren't.

I think it depends more on the personality of the child than the environment that they grew up in. Although that's just my 2.5 cents. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->