Chlamydia???!!!!... or not?

kori31209

Reaction score
Ok so I'm totally confused now, because I've had one pos and one neg test result for chlamydia in the past month... So this past January 15th, I went into my urgent care center because I was having classic symptoms of BV (TMI: an excess of bright white discharge, and strong "fish" like smell-ugh!).
:blush:
And so when I saw the doctor she took some swabs of you-know-what, and a urine sample for an STD screening, and pregnancy test just for precaution (at the time I didn't know if I was pregnant or not yet).
So the swabs came back, and wouldn't you know I had BV AND a yeast infection... :saywhat:
And my pregnancy test came back positive, twice! :bfp:
(yes, I peed on my own sticks when I got home just to see that precious second line!) :happydance:
Anyway, the results of the STD screening I took that same day were neg for both chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Then at my first prenatal appt this past February 12th, my Doc performed a pap smear (and apparently a cervical swab for STDs, but now that I think about it, I only remember one thing hitting my cervix...). The very next day, I got a call from a nurse saying my test came back pos for chlamydia.
The problem is that I'm in a monogamous relationship now with my hubby, and have been for 2 years. And before that, a monogamous relationship with another very loyal and dedicated man for close to two years, and no other sexual partners in between. SO how's this possible? I've had chlamydia in the past, 2008, and it was treated appropriately, and I've had negative tests since then...
Has anyone had a false pos or false neg before?
How common is it really?
Does anyone have any experience with anything like this before?
I've been scouring google, but sometimes personal experience means more that a bunch of wiki medical mumbo...

Hello! So sorry you are dealing with this and being pregnant. I don't know anything about false positives but I would speak with your partner and have them tested ASAP. You don't want to keep passing this back and forth....

As above really. Not a nice situation but you need to talk to your hubby about it xx

I was tested for chlamydia and it come back in the post as positive, I went back to the docs and rather than give me anything they swabbed again to be sure, this time it came back negative but positive for BV!!! The doc gave me antibiotics to sort both just in case. I told my partner about it (long term and neither of us slept around), he got checked and was negative. Apparently if you get chlamydia (which can lay dormant for years and show no signs) then you are susceptible to getting other infections Xx

I had a similar experience. Negative tests before becoming pregnant, been with the same man since 2010 now... then my OB decides to run another test while I'm pregnant. It came back positive, yet my husband tested negative. I did a lot of research after the test result came back to try and figure out what the heck was going on (since we both received clean bills of health before I became pregnant), and it appears it is very common for pregnant women to test positive for chlamydia, and their partners always test negative. When women ask for a retest, it comes back negative (usually they actually have a yeast infection or something similar). I can only imagine that there is something about pregnancy that triggers all of these positives for pregnant women - you'd think they'd do more research into it!

I did end up taking the antibiotics just as a precaution, but hubby and I believe I had a false positive. If you haven't started the treatment maybe ask for a retest just to confirm?

Thanks ladies, I have yet to tell my hubby since I only found out yesterday, and the last thing I need is for him to think that I've cheated on him (which he'll automatically assume :/ ). :nope:
I'm almost sure it's a false positive, so I just told him that I had an abnormal pap result and have to go in and "re-test" as soon as possible... I've seen so many stories on the internet about this. You would think they would attempt figure out the issue, as there's enough single mommies in the world today. And I'm not about to let some sloppy lab rat split my family up for no other reason but their mistake... ugh! So frustrating!!!:growlmad:

I got a pos for chlamydia when I first started sleeping with my now husband. When I found out I was obviously FURIOUS! After talking to him about it, he admitted that he had known he had it but swore that he was treated for it immediately--which was months before he and I had even slept together. I had no reason to doubt him as DH is a very honest man (to the point of being tacky at times, tbh).

So, while not the same situation, just trying to throw an example where he was tested and treated and somehow it fell through the cracks and came back.

Well you could think the same thing...that he cheated on you. Is there no way you can talk to him about this? I can't imagine going through this without my husband's support.

When will you get retested? Did your doctor say that this could be a false positive? Did he say to refrain from dtd to make sure not to pass it on to your husband, if he does not have it and the test was indeed correct?

I hope you get answers soon hon, and that the test was wrong.

So I went back to my doctor for a retest, but what she told me is that even if it was a false positive, I should treat it anyway. And that made sense to me, because would I really chance the safety and health of my baby?
I finally talked to my hubby, and he took it SO much better than I thought. Because in reality with so many people that have no symptoms, it could've come from anywhere. We finally figured out where it most likely had come from, and were totally relieved because it was so innocent, and no cheating involved, yay!

Anyway, my doctor also told me that urine tests are not as accurate for women as they are for men (I can only imagine that's because they have one hole? lol), and that the very best, and practically foolproof way to screen for bacterial infections in women is a cervical swab.

So ya, just wanted to update in case some of you who posted actually cared, or were wondering :]

And thank you all for your posts, it really helped :happydance:

Glad to hear it all worked out!! Take care, and btw how do they treat it? Do they wait for second trimester just in case?

Hey, so question here my situation is similar. I use condoms almost every time I have sex. Recently as in this year everytime. I get std check up yearly and always come back negative. This past Sunday I found out I was pregnant. Went to er Monday to find out I was miscarriaging. They tested for std which it came back positive. Now I know chlamidia can have no shown symptoms. But I find it really hard to believe i caught one since i as well am in a monogamous relationship. plus I was tested for everything back in may as well. We been together since January. Hes been tested last year and he was negative after his last relationship before me. I believe I had bv a few weeks ago (possibly when time of conception). So is it likely that mine as well was a false positive, since I as well had bv, treated that, and was pregnant? I plan to take the pills anyway. I'm just on a rope on how did this happen, and no I also didnt cheat lol, I believe him when he says he didnt either as we plan to get married even though we lost the baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->