Chomping 6 week old - OUCH!

MrsKChicago

Reaction score
I'm planning to hire a lactation consultant when I can, but hoping for some tips in the meantime. Baby is six weeks old, had a tongue tie fixed at 1 day old, and we used a nipple shield until about a week ago (couldn't get a deep enough latch with his small mouth and my flattish nipples). He latches beautifully on the right side now - no complaints. About 70% of the time, he chomps on the left instead of just sucking nicely. He does it throughout the feeding, not just at letdown. I don't have any bleeding or cracking or anything, but it HURTS. I've tried different positions, including flipping him over from football to cradle (I usually nurse in football hold). I've tried different pillow arrangements. I've tried all the tips that google suggested to get a deeper latch, and he still chomps. I can't figure out what I'm doing differently the 30% of the time he does well. Based on his nursing today, we're hitting the 6 week growth spurt, and I'm really close to just pumping from Lefty whenever he's feeling chompy, but I really don't want to go down that road. Is there anything I can do to get this velociraptor baby to ease up??

I would try reaching in and making sure his top lip is flanged up. Also, as you're holding your breast to latch, use the part of your hand that's holding underneath your breast to pull his chin down as you latch. Or reach in after latched, and try to encourage his bottom lip to also flange out. If his lips are pulled in, you're going to really FEEL as if the baby is chomping. (At least that's how it's gone for us)

My guy also was tongue tied and he was also easier on my right side.. Not sure why! I also pumped on the left while nursing on the right, until all the previous damage was totally healed. Otherwise, I was in a cycle of re-injury and could NOT heal. You could encourage his good habits and let him learn on the right, then let him finish up on the left after he gets his crazies out- then pump. Just another option!

The stuff I mentioned DID help us somewhat, but he's still a pretty rough nurser and to an extent I've just had to get used to it. I really hope that helps! I feel your pain. You rock!!

Thanks so much :) He's been doing much better, and I've noticed he's flanging a lot more. I'm still getting occasional chomps, but just a couple times a day. I did some pumping, too, and I suspect the flow on the left was slow enough to frustrate him by the end of the day, and made him chomp. He's past the crazy cluster feeding now, so maybe Lefty is keeping up with him better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->