Choosing cloth

northern_me

Reaction score
How did you go about choosing which cloth diapers to use? I live in an isolated place where cloth hasn't really made a comeback yet so I have to order everything online. Did you just buy a couple of each first and then decide and make a big purchase? Or did you just buy a supply of one kind and then make do with what you had? I have no idea how to start this.

What are your opinions on pocket vs a diaper like Flip? Did you use cloth from the beginning or did you wait until they got bigger? Which are a better choice for the newborn stage? Are you using washable liners or disposable or none at all?

We don't have much in the way of cloth diapers here either. I read and researched to figure out what to try at first. I found the newborn stage was a great time to experiment with different types to see what I liked or did not like. I tried several different kinds and eventually decided that I really like two part systems, like prefolds and covers best because they are easy to keep clean and they dry quickly. I use fitteds with wool covers for night.

When the newborn diapers were grown out of, I then bought a full supply of what I had liked best. I sold all the outgrown diapers and made most of my money back on them as well.

I did not personally care for pocket or AIO type diapers, because since the PUL (waterproof part) is attached to the absorbent part, I couldn't do a high temp sanitize steam cycle on them from time to time or it could damage the PUL. The bamboo fitteds I use for night time require this sometimes to avoid ammonia build up.

I use washable fleece liners as a stay dry layer, and also for ease of spraying off poop. Before she started solids I didn't spray off anything, though.

I went for name brands, used, so that I could resell what I didn't like. I noticed that the ladies on diaper swapping boards with unknown name brands or diapers made my WAHM's were having a much harder time selling their unwanted diapers than those selling BumGenius, Flip, Fuzzibunz, etc.

I will say, though, we found those brands didn't work for the newborn phase for us, so we ended up using fitteds+covers early on.

oh, and we love Flips! :)

Thanks ladies. After much research I think I'm going to be getting Flips and maybe a few Fuzzibunz or apple cheeks for overnights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->