choosing not to bf

Mrsk with all due respect, that is your opinion but I feel my happiness does not compare to the importance of giving my children the best start to life I can offer them (and I felt breast milk was just that) I will always be second to my children from now on. Only 1 in 1000 women physically cannot breastfeed but yes there are very real difficulties that can occur. I don't mean to turn this into a bf vs. formula debate but I really think that phrase right there that is heard often ("moms happiness is more important") is a big factor in why women give up bfing or do not try at all.

I exclusively breastfeed, despite having to overcome a few problems with it. I feel strongly about breastmilk, and I'll do a lot to give it to my son. But formula isn't poison, it's just less ideal. Millions of babies aren't breastfed, and they're fine. If the OP gets through the colostrum stage and changes her mind, I'll be the first person there cheering her on. But the pressure to breastfeed even when it's causing serious stress, the idea that formula is actually bad, at such an emotionally vulnerable time, is incredibly dangerous. It's dangerous to mothers prone to PPD, which is in turn dangerous to their babies. A stressed, possibly depressed, struggling mother is absolutely worse for a baby's well being than formula.

My son will always come first, and I will always sacrifice to give him what he needs, but I'm still a person who matters, and so is the OP.

Ladies please there is no argument here
We are all mothers who put our babies first. Bf or bottle fed at the end of the day as.long as baby is happy and thriving it doesn't matter which it is given.

No one has insulted or down played the importance of mother baby contact, bond, love, successful happiness, the miracle that is breastfeeding or the survival that is formula.

The opinions shared are so important and appreciated by all in similar situations, stress and worry.

Weve all sed the same our babies come first and no matter how we feed them we all love our babies 1000000000000% and we are all amazing women.

Mrsk I understand what you are saying. But the stress is usually temporary ( must say meep - I'm so sorry you went through all that and for so long- you are trooper!) yet the benefits last a lifetime. I am not anti-formula (I haven't met one woman who is) and I respect and am grateful for what formula has done for infant mortality rates and I gave my support and encouragement to the OP however I stand by that I think that statement is thrown around negligibly.

Mummy what a beautiful response. I 100% agree

Sorry, Mummy, I didn't mean to start a debate. I do get where you're coming from, Newlywed. I think the 6 weeks of hassle and stress were totally worth it, but if it had all been as hard as the first few nights, I don't think I would have made it! "Mom's happiness is more important" is an oversimplification of a much more complex issue. I'm sure Mummy will do great however she decides to feed the baby :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubysan
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->