christmas dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things we ALWAYS have that isn't on your list is pigs in blankets (but youve already said u hate them... what about the ones in pastry instead of bacon? you can get premade ones from m&s), bread sauce and stuffing!

Oh yeah, we're having pigs in blankets! And what do you call them when it's prunes wrapped in bacon? DH loves them. I love clams or oysters in bacon but we're land-locked here so bit dubious about buying seafood!

I just got in the post.... 2kg gammon, 2 x english sausages, apple and pork stuffing and a chunk of wenslydale. There's an English butcher in the north of France that I couldn't resist ordering from!

Oh, and yams are like sweet potato, never sure if there's actually a difference or not. Think it's rather odd to have it with marshmallows, probably tastes good but think I'd have it as a dessert rather than with the meat!

Oh yeah, we're having pigs in blankets! And what do you call them when it's prunes wrapped in bacon? DH loves them. I love clams or oysters in bacon but we're land-locked here so bit dubious about buying seafood!

I just got in the post.... 2kg gammon, 2 x english sausages, apple and pork stuffing and a chunk of wenslydale. There's an English butcher in the north of France that I couldn't resist ordering from!

Oh, and yams are like sweet potato, never sure if there's actually a difference or not. Think it's rather odd to have it with marshmallows, probably tastes good but think I'd have it as a dessert rather than with the meat!

is it not pigs on horseback or something weird :rofl:

Googled - prunes are devils on horseback! Oysters are angels on horseback.

Hmm, how to translate that one to the Italians...

i think the only things with have extra to that is

pigs in blankets :cloud9: :rofl:

and

sausage meat

:flower:

We have such different "traditional" food. I've never had anything wrapped in bacon, or artichokes, or bread sauce, or yams with marshmellows (which is an American thing that blows my mind, I can't figure out who came up with that in the first place!) :rofl:

Our traditional Christmas meal is:

Roast turkey
Boiled potatos
Boiled carrots
Cabbage
Turnip
Salt meat
A thick pastry pudding (we call it bread pudding in NL but that's not actually what it's called)
Gravey

:)

what is it tho? the brown bits? whats a yam?

Yams are kind of like a sweet potato but sweeter and contain more natural sugar than the sweet potato. Yams and sweet potatoes are really 2 very different vegetables but we use them interchangeably for some reason.. I am not a fan of either. :sick: My in-laws love it though. :shrug: I usually only take a helping of Yams so I can have the marshmallows. :rofl: :rofl:

Yams with marshmallows are also called candied yams and is a big southern tradition. The marshmallows melt onto the yams while they are baking and blend in with the maple syrup, butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar.

Yam and marshmallows with a savoury meal = wrong :rofl: Crazy americans!

^ I'd be willing to give it a go though... I remember being disgusted at the idea of putting maple syrup on bacon with breakfast, then they had American breakfasts at a Mexican resort I was in and oh my goodness I fell in love! I spent half the day at the breakfast bar, swear I put on 5kg that holiday....

Yam and marshmallows with a savoury meal = wrong :rofl: Crazy americans!

It's just a tradition in some homes in America. I never had it as kid growing up and when I was first introduced to it at DH's Mom's I thought, "oh okay...well this is different." :rofl: It has an odd taste I must say. It's not really wrong or crazy though as every country has certain foods that people from other countries think is weird. I guess it's all about what you've grown up with and are used to. That's what makes our world so interesting! :D

I too am cooking for 9 people on christmas day!

we are having -

Roast Turkey
Roast Beef
pigs in blankets
Roast potatoes (roasted in goose fat)
Maple syrup roast parsnips
Carrots
Mash
Sprouts
Red cabbage (a german recipe)
Chestnut stuffing (made by myself, not a packet mix)
Turkey gravy
Cranberry sauce
Horseradish sauce

then home made christmas pudding or yule log for desert with brandy sauce, custard or ice cream

Can you make yorkshire puds in advance and then cook them on the day?

you can do, keep the batter in the fridge and give it a stir every now and then, and dont make it too far in advance or itll go horrid lol

i was gna make my own stuffing but i have a very specific flavour that i like my stuffing to be and it is the flavour of paxo hahaha, if i make my own and its not as nice as paxo, or even different from paxo, i will NOT.BE.IMPRESSED! so i have bought 2 packets of paxo :haha:

x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583