Christmas dinner

leoniebabey

mam of 2 boys
Reaction score
Its my first year at home cooking my own dinner.
Does anyone have any hints or tricks to make it easier. Im only cooking for me and the kids so if its not the best its not too bad only the kids to judge me!
Want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible what things can be prepped the day before and how do you store them?
Does anyone use a slow cooker for some bits?

Haha I posted almost this exact thread a few weeks ago! Got loads of helpful tips, I'll try and find the thread for you :D

I'm using a slow cooker for my turkey, there will only be three of us (adults) plus my fussy four year old so I'm doing a few turkey breasts. I'm vaguely going to use this:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-turkey-breasts-wine-bacon

As I'll need the space in my small oven for the trimmings I think.

Oh lord I'm pretty crap at this, I can't even remember the name of the thread but it was here somewhere!

Haha thankyou ill see if i can find it. Was thinking of just getting some turkey breasts as we wont need a big one and my mams doing boxing day so wont need leftovers.

Just the 4 of us this year, last year we had my mum and dad over Christmas, year before that in-laws have always cooked.

Throw a joint of meat or breasts in the slow cooker overnight on low, then put it on high when you wake up (only required with joint). I'm putting lamb in mine, gammon and chicken (don't like turkey) in the oven. Depending on the size of your SC, another meat can go in too.

Peel/chop all veg then put them in the fridge. Broccoli/cauli/carrots in an air tight tub or bag. Put potatoes in cold water making sure they're fully covered.

I don't need to faff with potatoes, I'm buying:
Ready-made roasties (Only OH eats them)
Frozen mash (tried it at my sisters when her MIL came to stay and loved it, it's mini piped mashed potato then frozen after - shove it in the microwave for 5 mins add milk/marge as normal).
Frozen yorkies, in case mine don't go to plan haha

I let OH do all the cooking ha ha!

My only comment would be to buy what you will eat. A couple of years back we got three different meats and cooked it all Christmas day so much got wasted as we got too full and went away boxing day.

This year we are getting salmon for Christmas Eve, turkey or chicken for Christmas day and party snacks for boxing day as DH may have to work.

I think were just gonna go to wetherspoons for christmas eve so i dont have to do dishes and such. Its only a few mins down the road so not far and will get the kids out of the house for a bit which is essential on christmas eve for the sake of my sanity ha!
Were gonna have:
Turkey
Roasties
Mash
Roasted parsnips
Carrots
Stuffing
Sprouts for my oldest
Pigs in blanket
Yorkshires (gonna have a fair few practice runs before)
Cauliflour cheese
Turnip
Gravy
Mint sauce (none of us like cranberry)

Am i missing anything?

Will deffo peel and chop the night before

Cabbage? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Peas? Green beans? All personal preference :D

Drain the fridge water and put fresh in before you put it on the hob, it goes all starchy or forms a skin.

Think this is the thread you are after:
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/santas-grotto/2447529-bit-embarrassing-really-but.html

x

I personally just aim for the normal Sunday dinner but with pig in blankets, I think we can make too much ... I've certainly wasted plenty in the past. This year my OH wants a turkey whereas I am a chicken person ...so that or both will cooked in the instant pot in the morning. You can add to a casserole dish with a think gravy to heat up in the oven or just the gravy alone will heat it up with the other foods served hot.

Most important me is the cheese board :rofl:

As much as I love Christmas dinner I also think the build up makes me want to get all the extras and then I don't eat as much.

With our turkey/chicken we'll have
Roast Potatoes
Roast carrots and Parsnips (me and DH)
Carrots
Broccoli
Peas or green beans
Yorkshire's
Stuffing
Pigs in blankets

I like cabbage to but DH and kids don't so I won't bother.

Need to find some table crackers as wouldn't be Christmas without crackers on the table :)

Last year we made lots in advance and just froze it.

Stuff like stuffing, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire puddings (already cooked), pigs in blankets prepped, will all freeze well.

I bought ready made gravy from M&S.

Veg and potatoes all peeled and chopped, just in water overnight.

Meat in slow cooker.

Although we seemed to do a lot in advance, it still took up lots of time on the day! This year we're going back to having dinner at the in-laws, so looking forward to less cooking 😂

Cauliflour cheese will be shop bought as i cant for the life of me make a cheese sauce lol! Also pigs in blankets will be shop bought.
My mam adds broccoli i think but i think the other bits will be enough. I feel like we eat broccoli too much haha!
My mam does a starter but im not gonna bother with that as the kids arnt fussed. (She makes a prawn cocktail)
Pudding will be a smart price trifle i swear they are nicer than the more expensive ones! Im not a fan of christmas pudding.
I would love a cheese and meat board but theres only me would eat it as my oldest cant have dairy and youngest wouldnt eat much of it. Suppose my oldest could have a bit of salami or such. May do that for a picky tea some crackers and relish.

I just got some gorgeous crackers from wilko that were £4 for 12. Can't speak for what's inside obviously but they're so pretty and super cheap!

I just got some gorgeous crackers from wilko that were £4 for 12. Can't speak for what's inside obviously but they're so pretty and super cheap!

Will check those out thanks 😊

Cauliflour cheese will be shop bought as i cant for the life of me make a cheese sauce lol! Also pigs in blankets will be shop bought.
My mam adds broccoli i think but i think the other bits will be enough. I feel like we eat broccoli too much haha!
My mam does a starter but im not gonna bother with that as the kids arnt fussed. (She makes a prawn cocktail)
Pudding will be a smart price trifle i swear they are nicer than the more expensive ones! Im not a fan of christmas pudding.
I would love a cheese and meat board but theres only me would eat it as my oldest cant have dairy and youngest wouldnt eat much of it. Suppose my oldest could have a bit of salami or such. May do that for a picky tea some crackers and relish.
That's what we have in the evening, cheese, crackers, chutneys and other nibbly bits.

I actually got a Lidl Christmas food mag in the post today and some of it looks bloody amazing and obviously cheap as chips! Plus there's £5 off a £40 spend if you get one of the mags, they're probably giving them away in store

We dont have a lidl close would cost me more for taxi. We have an aldi though but i never find everything i need in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->